• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

?s about my Bro's system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ManOfKnight

Back in Iowa :( Come on Gators, Get up and Go!
my brother asked me to build him a system for under 750 that would rip all other systems to shread...i found that hard to do, but for under a grand i think i might have a pretty nice system. Tell me what u think, or of any changes i should make

Shuttle AK31 Rev 2
Mushkin 256MB PC2100 DDR
Athlon 1.4Ghz
Lite On 16x CDRW
Lite On 12x Dvd
Radeon LE 32MB DDR
SK6 HSF
Mid Tower case with 2 120mm fans and 2 80mm fans
350watt PS

what do u think...i didn't know if i should go with a Radeon LE or a GeForce2 <he isn't much the gamer>, or even the new Hercules sets that have been getting burned recently

Depending on how close the budget is if its win 2k I would go for 512mb of ram, 98 256 is plenty.
If your going to overclock the cpu get a 400w antec psu if not 350w is good.
Then after you add it all up get the best geforce card with rest of the budget but dont get any mx models.

If you plan to overclock I'd defiantly have to recommend the Epox 8k7a.. this system rocks.. I've easily gotten 300 plus mhz o/c out of every processor that I stick into it.. Ohh about the o/s Don't go win 98 it blows ***.. Had it for 3 years and I'd shoot my self before giving up my Win2k professional... I've had nuthing but sucess with it.. Make sure you lap that SK-6 heatsink good before installing it... the 4 I've gotten all looked pretty nasty and I improved my temps about 10-12 degrees f just by using 600-1200-1500-2000 (wet sanded in a circular motion) Try out newegg.com they have some killer deals going on.. They even have the 40 gig Ibm Deskstar gxp60's for 108 bucks as well as the Amd 1.4 for $128!! But If I was you I'd order a 1.2 Axiar stepping cpu and o/c the hell out of it(look in my signature for my o/c's with this mobo!).. I'm sure Mine can get up another 50-75 mhz, but just burning it in now.. To me I think the 1.33 & 1.4's are sorry o/cer's
Hope this helps a little

Last edited:
dont get a radeon. stick with nvidia. id atleast go with a geforce2 mx 400. but you can get gf2 pro 64 meg ddrs really cheap these days.

i LOVE my Radeon...as for the EPoX board...i am looking at that one too, extra 30 bucks, but i have heard good things about both. only thing i am scared of is the 5v on the EPoX board...i might upgrade his PS, but why? it isn't MINE!!!! i will give him the best O/C that that PS can handle....again, my radeon may not score the HIGHEST in 3dmark, but i LOVE it!!!! it works soooo good, never had a prob and the graphics look spectacular!!! can't wait for the NEW RADEONS!!!!

RyE said:
dont get a radeon. stick with nvidia. id atleast go with a geforce2 mx 400. but you can get gf2 pro 64 meg ddrs really cheap these days.

You just proved to everyone you don't know too much about video cards.

I had a Gf2mx and switched to the Radeon. Not only is the picture quality 10 times better, but when I enable hyper z and o/c it the FPS kill the MX.

well If you think that's nice get a Hercules Prophet 2 geforce 2 ultra (i have this card) or a Geforce 3 these cards will run circles around any radeon ever built.. Nvidia Owns ATI!!! :D :p You Ati Owners just wish you could afford the Geforce 2 Ultras and Geforce 3's

Last edited:
Why does everyone talk about gf2. I have a KyroII Hercules 64 meg, and I must say that in my opinion this card is much better than the gf2mx and MUCH cheaper

WOW!!!! these replies to my post are getting funny...

Radeon is known more for its QUALITY of picture
GeForce is known more for its SPEED
the NEW Radeon will be FAST and have the QUALITY that people have come to know from Radeons.

have to respect the GeForce3 for its speed though...i have seen some KILLER 3dmark scores

Back