• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VGA Silencer question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KeepItCool101

Ok if i buy this it for my radeon 9800 pro how do i install it?? I am going to pick my 9800pro some time this week from bestbuy. But am ordering the rest the parts in a few weeks. Does the 9800 pro come with the stock heatsink on already? if so how do i get it off safely?

the HS comes installed, just look at it and you will figure out how to take it off. installation of the Silencer is straight forward, just make sure you tighten the screws evenly and stop when the black washers are beginning to compress, get some AS5 while ur at it, and maybe u should hold off on getting the Silencer for a few weeks, the new ones will be out by then

installation is pretty straight forward:
1)remove old heatsink by pusing in the pushpins on the rear of the card
2)Clean off previous thermal compound with iso and a lint free cloth
3)Clean base of vga silencer with iso and lint free cloth
4)remove the ati backplate from the vid card
5)install the vga silencer backplate
6)plug in the vga silencer fan
7)apply as3 or as5 or as ceramique to the gpu core
8)lay vga silencer onto the core, lining up the holes on the h/s to the mounting holes in the vid card
9)insert the screws from the mounting clip into the mounting holes on the vid card.
10)slowly screw the clip down onto the card making sure you turn each screw once on each side to make sure even pressure is applied.
11)when the screws compress the rubber stoppers, pull yourself away, and marvel at the new vga silencer strapped onto your 9800Pro
12)boot into windows and allow a 12hr minimum burn in for the thermal compound
13)shut off computer for 30 mins
14)overclock that baby like mad.
15)enjoy your new overclock

Heh, that's about all there is to it. take it slow and cautious and you will be alright. Arctic cooling provides detailed instructions on how to mount the heatisnk anyway.

Keep in mind that if the old heatsink doesn't come off easily, don't try and just yank it off. I had to take a blowdryer to mine in order to get it off and I think there's some freezer trick as well.

Back