• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me diagnose my dually :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Type911

Registered
Hi,

My "new" dually is having a problem :(

Modded a pair of XP-M 2600's, put them into an iWill MPX2, installed all peripheral cards, HD's etc...

Powered on and nada! Only the PSU fan and front chassis fan is working and green mobo LED is on.

My CPU fans don't even turn :(

Could I have one dud CPU?

No visible burn signs on the mobo or power connector.

I have XP-TMC adaptors under the CPU's which set the multi's and have hard-wired the CPU core Volts to 1.8v by joining the pins on the back of the mobo.

Advice/suggestions?

have you tried booting everything stock first? i would make sure everything works before i start any mods.

OK, quick update.

Pulled out the secondary CPU and powered on again.

This time, got a display but it beeps frantically and displays "BIOS Error", "No Keyboard present". NOT A GOOD SIGN!

try taking everything out and build up from the minimum. could be a bad motherboard :-/

Hmmm.. .could be.

Do these motherboards rely on a Floppy Drive being detected before it'll boot up?

I don't have a floppy drive. I've just connected the HD's & AGP Card.

It complains that there's no KB connected (which it is) and no floppy drive.

Take off all those CPU mods and just post with RAM & video card. If it still won't post, then reset your BIOS CMOS jumper and try again. If you get posted and can access your BIOS, then You're in good shape. Then you can start adding hardware components one at a time while retesting after each is added. Once your system is stable, then you can think about modding your CPUs.

OK, tried that, but still nada :(

The errors I get are:

BIOS ROM checksum error
Keyboard error or no keyboard present

Detecting floppy drive A media...
Drive A error. System halt.

I plugged in a Floppy Drive and things looked better. No more floppy error or Keyboard error, but I still get a BIOS ROM checksum error. I put in a system boot disk, it started booting and then the system turned itself off.

I tried powering on, but it'll power on for 2-3 seconds and then die again. Let it cool down for a while and then it powered on again, tried to boot and then died in it's ar$e again. Looks thermal related!?!?

Hmmmmmm?????

Last edited:
I had to cut the 3rd L5 bridge for both CPU's and then I had to paint the pins at the back of the mobo to set the default vcore to 1.8v. The multipliers on the chips have been set using XP-TMC adaptors (16x).

I would remove everything and start up with only the keyboard, 1 stick of RAM, 1 CPU (by itself- remove the 1.8V mod and the adapter), a video card and clear the CMOS. then diagnose from there, just like Audioaficionado said. The more you have on there the more issues you could have.

Hmmm, painting the back of the mobo's cpu socket pins may have done the damage. I can't verify this without me looking at the board myself, but you said you " tried powering on, but it'll power on for 2-3 seconds and then die again. Let it cool down for a while and then it powered on again, tried to boot and then died in it's ar$e again"

That looks like a bonafied short.

Unless you can remove the paint from the back of the mobo and pray that will solve the problem, i'm afraid that mobo is toast :(

Yeh, I removed the voltage mod at the back of the mobo and still no go.

It definately looks like a mobo issue because 4 out of the 5 fan headers isn't supplying 12v to the fans! Only one fan header is working!

Oh well, contacted the board supplier and he's sending me another one tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Just a few things that may help.

You don't need a Floppy connected, enter bios and set "stop on no errors"

In bios you also have a setting to power on extra 12v headers on the mobo.

You have Vcore adjustment in Bios to 1.85, you may have a reason for pin modding for extra Vcore, but I thought I would say that :)

You don't have to cut the third L5 bridge, to make both CPU's work, although It's not a problem if you have. (so I believe, I did not cut mine)

I never used XP-TMC adaptors, to set to x16, just the socket wire mod, maybe there is a problem with the adaptors.

Sorry if you know all of the above already :)

Take out the cmos battery for several minutes. I experienced the same issue but on an ASUS. I actually had to leave battery out for 5 minutes before cmos cleared :/ i thought the mobo was toast for sure before successfully clearing cmos. then the checksum error left and all was well again.

Also, do the cpu fans have speed sensors in them? HAd another issue where i used a non sensor fan on cpu 0 anly to find that the baord would only power up for 2-3 seconds before shutting down again.

Back