• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So help me finish my loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mandrake I'm personally going intel. I'm aware they don't run as hot as amd. I just didn't want to have to ever buy fans again. Lol. You can check out my build in progress if you want under water cooling section.
Understood and you may not have any issue running a 480 on an Intel setup, even overclocked. The Fx 83xx is a whole different ballgame, especially Oced. I've seen wattage drawn numbers that are astounding with my chip. At 4.7 you're looking at 230 w on the chip alone and if one is really pushing the numbers are a bit shocking. I've seen 825 w drawn with my Fx in the low 5's and 1 Gpu oced.

Understood and you may not have any issue running a 480 on an Intel setup, even overclocked. The Fx 83xx is a whole different ballgame, especially Oced. I've seen wattage drawn numbers that are astounding with my chip. At 4.7 you're looking at 230 w on the chip alone and if one is really pushing the numbers are a bit shocking. I've seen 825 w drawn with my Fx in the low 5's and 1 Gpu oced.

Wow!

- - - Updated - - -

Guys, I'm going to take a step back here and rethink some of this here build stuff.

I keep coming back to having a separate benching rig from my gaming rig, and it just seems to make more sense than one rig to do all.

I do appreciate all the answers so far. I am all ears on any recommendations for test benches and loops for them :thup: I will move the FX setup to the test bench for now and then see what I get for gaming. Going to send the Core X9 back and I ordered a Fractal Define S for the gaming rig........

Mandrake I have a 1200 p2 power supply. I'll be fine on my intel set up. Evil I think your making a mistake sending that case back. It's an amazing case with it being fully modular. The cooling on the x9 is amazing with all the options. I think your just trying to do to much to fast. Just slow down a little bit and relax. It can be overwhelming but can empty those pockets fast.

I'm running 14 of the SP120 fans... all you need is a good fan controller and some splitters. Currently, I'm running the fans with a Lamptron controller.

You're running a Lamptron controller, which is a voltage controller, which is why you don't have issues.

Mandrake I have a 1200 p2 power supply. I'll be fine on my intel set up. Evil I think your making a mistake sending that case back. It's an amazing case with it being fully modular. The cooling on the x9 is amazing with all the options. I think your just trying to do to much to fast. Just slow down a little bit and relax. It can be overwhelming but can empty those pockets fast.

Case is too big, been looking at it non stop since yesterday. Plus if I split things up into a separate bench rig I don't need so much cooling power.....

But thanks for your input :thup:

Slow down evil. You first need to figure out what kind of system you're going to build. I'm confused after reading all the posts with people pointing in different directions. You have no clear idea what your goal is here yet. You first need to figure out your system. Me personally, would do a high end all in one PC instead of having two. Lots of funds being split when your gaming could be your bencher as well. Than you need to figure out what cooling is needed for said parts. With that in mind, you then figure out what case can house all that comfortably. Not the other way around, otherwise you might be forced to mod a perfectly new case.

As someone already said, take a breather and take your time on this.

Slow down evil. You first need to figure out what kind of system you're going to build. I'm confused after reading all the posts with people pointing in different directions. You have no clear idea what your goal is here yet. You first need to figure out your system. Me personally, would do a high end all in one PC instead of having two. Lots of funds being split when your gaming could be your bencher as well. Than you need to figure out what cooling is needed for said parts. With that in mind, you then figure out what case can house all that comfortably. Not the other way around, otherwise you might be forced to mod a perfectly new case.

As someone already said, take a breather and take your time on this.

The X9 is gone to UPS already. Was just much larger than what I was looking for. It's that simple. I did not expect it to be so large Lol ("that's what she said joke inserted here :) ) I don't need a case that when empty inside fits my two year old, way over board for me lol.

I will be moving the 8350, CHVFZa and DDR3 to a test bench setup where I can water cool, swap parts easier, and bench without worrying about crashing my gamer.

For the gamer I am undecided still on mother board/chipset and CPU series still, currently researching that. This is where the gaming build is at, and the stuff with $0.00 is already on hand and/or en route:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evil-MOBO/saved/#view=kj9gXL

I will most likely just air cool it, or depending on CPU get an AIO like an EK predator for the CPU on the gamer, we shall see.

So yeah, this is me slowing down, but just a bit impatient is all as I am stuck on a laptop until a PC is up and running.......

I just feel the two system setup will better work for me, and I liked benching more than gaming, so the gaming build does not need to be all out. Would just like a decent 1440p setup for that :thup:

Last edited:
I wasn't saying you would have an issue at all. I was merely pointing out how much power the AMD setup can draw. Intel is vastly different even when pushed.

Back