• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So help me finish my loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil-Mobo

Ok guy's this is where I'm at on my build for the sake of moving forward:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evil-MOBO/saved/#view=kj9gXL

So how much rad would you guys use? I was thinking a 480 and a 360 or two 480's? I live in South, FL so ambient temps are a bit higher than everywhere else throughout the year and well the summers can be brutal.

Here's where I am at with the stuff that is on hand loop wise:
- EKWB D5 Revo Acetal Pump (PWM)
- EKWB GTX 780 Ti Acetal + Nickel Block & Black Back Plate (X2)
- EKWB Supremacy EVO Acetal + Nickel CPU Block
- Several EKWB Chrome Compression Fittings (10/16mm)
- Primochill Advanced LRT Clear Tubing (10/16mm)
- XSPC Tube Cutter
- Corsair SP 120 Fans (I know not the best and need moar fans)
- EK Chrome Ball valve
- EK M to M extension

What fans do you guys recommend. I will need Rad fans AND case fans, I am open to what works here but if it can also be had in colors (red/white/black) even better. But I do not wish to sacrifice performance for looks here......

Also, did EKWB ever make a mother board block for the CHVFZ? Maybe I can try and hunt down a used one?

I am planning to use clear fluid (distilled water) and either get a kill coil or some PT nuke? One better than the other?

Would also like some input on fan controllers this is all starting to get a little bit over whelming..... bare with me guys I have never water cooled before and this is my third build ever lol......

Thanks for your time :thup:

Last edited:
Are the fans single speed or PWM?
Just go buy Noctua iPPC in the PWM variety.

I don't see a block listed here:
https://www.ekwb.com/configurator/step1_complist?mb_mbs=612
You could find out if this fits:
https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-fb-asus-crosshair-v-acetal-en-nickel

Either coil or nuke works just fine.

Best fan control is to use PWM and control via the motherboard and a splitter like this one:
http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx

The fans on hand are PWM static pressure fans.

Thanks for the info it's EOL but at least now I know they made one let me see if I can track one down, I feel tis would be better for the mobo than just having a fan on the hot spots.

Thanks for the heads up on the Noctua Fan I will go check them out now :thup:

You will have issues controlling the SP120 PWM fans if you're using them on a splitter with the number you have.

I only have four right now so as I said don't mind changing them out because I need more fans anyways.

Whar RPM on the IPPC's do you recommend? Thanks for the heads up on the Swiftech splitter I have used it before with ease :thup:

IMO if you're gonna fork out the cash for noctua ippc's you might as well grab the 3000's. The price difference is only a few bucks.

IMO if you're gonna fork out the cash for noctua ippc's you might as well grab the 3000's. The price difference is only a few bucks.

Perfect thanks.

Is there anything more budget friendly that comes close or is this it?

There are plenty of fans that perform as well, but I've never seen another fan with a noise profile as pleasing as these and with as wide of a control range.

2000 vs 3000 RPM will depend on what radiators you go with.

There are plenty of fans that perform as well, but I've never seen another fan with a noise profile as pleasing as these and with as wide of a control range.

Ok that's the info I was looking for.

So the same fan for rads and just case fans? Sorry for all of the questions......

How much Rad space do you think for this CPU, and the two GPU's? You use to own this chip so I figured you would have a solid answer for me on that? :thup:

Yeah, I'd just use the same fan for rad and case.

I'd look at 120.7 as a minimum.
You're going to choke back that SLI 780Ti arrangement with an FX, just an FYI.

Bigger is always better for rads :thup:
And really, Noctua while expensive are quite possibly the best fans on Earth. Go grab 'em!

IF it was me I'd go for 2 480 rads. You'd want good fans plus lots of raddage given your location.

No need for a motherboard block, it really restricts flow and for most users totally unnecessary, spot fans work just fine.

As far as radiators go, the Fx 8350 is going to need at least 2x120mm then another 4x120 for the Gpu's. So 1 x 360 and 1 x 480 should be fine.

I use distilled with I and H dead water and haven't had an issue in 2 years. I usually drain my loop every 6-7 months and tear it apart every year. The only issue I ever have is the damn cat hair in the rad fins.

As far as fans if you want to save a little cash over the Noctua's I really like the Bitfenix Spectre Pro Pwm fans I have. Even at 100% you can hear them but the sound quality is really good. They aren't as good as the Noctuas but they are like half the price if you're looking to save a little.

It's not forever but we shall see how it does, this will be the FX chip to choke it out with right lol......

Later I plan to build a dedicated benching rig and either move the chip and the mobo over to there, or swap out the GPU's.....so this is just to get me up an running on something for now and I have all the parts pretty much........ to do so

- - - Updated - - -

Bigger is always better for rads :thup:
And really, Noctua while expensive are quite possibly the best fans on Earth. Go grab 'em!

IF it was me I'd go for 2 480 rads. You'd want good fans plus lots of raddage given your location.

This is what I was thinking as well thanks for your input :thup:

- - - Updated - - -

No need for a motherboard block, it really restricts flow and for most users totally unnecessary, spot fans work just fine.

As far as radiators go, the Fx 8350 is going to need at least 2x120mm then another 4x120 for the Gpu's. So 1 x 360 and 1 x 480 should be fine.

I use distilled with I and H dead water and haven't had an issue in 2 years. I usually drain my loop every 6-7 months and tear it apart every year. The only issue I ever have is the damn cat hair in the rad fins.

As far as fans if you want to save a little cash over the Noctua's I really like the Bitfenix Spectre Pro Pwm fans I have. Even at 100% you can hear them but the sound quality is really good. They aren't as good as the Noctuas but they are like half the price if you're looking to save a little.

Didn't know those blocks were so restrictive good to know now. Thanks. I will see how to set a couple of fans up properly then. Much appreciated.

Just because I like to play devils advocate with you, then what would you recommend for the SLI setup.....?

Or just run one card here as a gaming system.....and then the SLI on a test bench setup....?

Idk if you drop the cash on the noctuas like I did you can easily get away with one 480mm radiator. I'm cooling sli, cpu, motherboard all off one 480mm but I have 8 noctua 120mm 3000 rpm pwm fans and 4 140mm noctua 2000 rpm fans. I think I spent $300 on fans. Lol

Just because I like to play devils advocate with you, then what would you recommend for the SLI setup.....?

Or just run one card here as a gaming system.....and then the SLI on a test bench setup....?

If you want to take advantage of SLI, especially for benching, you need X99. For gaming, Z170 will utilize those two cards to most of their ability.

I'm running 14 of the SP120 fans... all you need is a good fan controller and some splitters. Currently, I'm running the fans with a Lamptron controller.

Don't play devils advocate you'll be spinning around in circles. As Atimside said, Sli/Xfire you go Intel, the AMD cpu's do not do well in dual card setups compared to them.

Idk if you drop the cash on the noctuas like I did you can easily get away with one 480mm radiator. I'm cooling sli, cpu, motherboard all off one 480mm but I have 8 noctua 120mm 3000 rpm pwm fans and 4 140mm noctua 2000 rpm fans. I think I spent $300 on fans. Lol
On what setup? If you're on Intel there is a HUGE difference between Intel and an AMD Fx 8xxx setup.

Mandrake I'm personally going intel. I'm aware they don't run as hot as amd. I just didn't want to have to ever buy fans again. Lol. You can check out my build in progress if you want under water cooling section.

Back