• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B vs DFI "NFII ULTRA INFINITY" performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
or should i go with an abit nf7-s or stick with my current asus a7n8x dlx 2.0???

(my bro needs a new mobo and said hed buy mine, so i could get a new one unless what i have is fine)

I am speaking to you with experience from the DFI LP b... do not get it unless you want to put up with some new issue/problem everyother day. This board would be fun if I was a 24/7 OCer, but I would like to enjoy some gaming every once in a while rather than picking at "what could be causing these restarts when prime and memtest are stabel..." I am just fed up with DFI.

hope this helps.

edit: that asus is not king of OC... I have never tried the Abit, but have not heard one bad thing about it.

Official web site should offer exact features details, shouldn't it.

Both Abit and DFI are excellent overclockers, after comparing the features of both, the only thing that's left unclear is this business of Abit FSB being faster than DFI FSB.

In other words, like the Intel-AMD comparison when you talk about MHz and AMD at same MHz is faster than Intel at same MHz.

There was talk that Abit FSB is faster, all things being equal. I thought it was strange but there are quite a few discussions on it out there, see what you can find about this controversy since you're in the market, then share with us what you found out back here.

well ive heard the abit is solid and you can expect 240fsb outta it (i am shooting for 250) but ive also heard the DFI will do 280 with right memory and power but that it isnt solid that it has alot of problems.

65stang said:
well ive heard the abit is solid and you can expect 240fsb outta it (i am shooting for 250) but ive also heard the DFI will do 280 with right memory and power but that it isnt solid that it has alot of problems.

To get an idea of what is going on in the every day life of a DFI user, head on over to dfi-street and see for yourself. Never seen 280fsb on a DFI, not one that is used 24/7, in fact, not one period.

EDIT: ehh, just remember all the warm boot, cold boot problems too... yuck.

Whar are you trying to achieve, higher FSB?

What is you RAM and current mobo capable of when you lower the multiplier and relax all timings, just low 200s FSB?

It may be that your RAM won't go way into 200s no matter what board you use...

Abit and DFI are top rated boards, there's stories about both acting up but that's for specific users not with all latest revision models.

c627627 said:
Abit and DFI are top rated boards, there's stories about both acting up but that's for specific users not with all latest revision models.

Stories? you mean facts, right? what latest revision models? new bios'? They are not a fix-all.

Just look at it this way... why blame DFI for bringing the consummers a board that is mostly capable of going way over waht the actual chipset (NF2) was meant to run at. There are drawbacks... you either suck it up, or you move on. me, I chose to move on.

Are you saying all new DFI boards have problems that are identical or similar?

c627627 said:
Are you saying all new DFI boards have problems that are identical or similar?

DFI infinity or lanparty.. new or not (whatever that means, only one version of the LP is still available, and it's B. Only one version of the infinity is available, i forget what it is. I am only speaking for NF2 boards here), are known to have warm boot and/or cold boot issues. Some bios's fixed that for some users, while not for others. Some mods fixed that for some users, while not for others. There are tons of other little things about it that just make you say WTF, and I am not going to sit here and dig them out of my head. I spent enough time aggravated over this. AHHH, see what you did? you made me think of another one... if you want to swap your bios, you better have a bios savior unless you want to kiss your board good bye... WTF!! sorry for the length

c627627 said:
Whar are you trying to achieve, higher FSB?

What is you RAM and current mobo capable of when you lower the multiplier and relax all timings, just low 200s FSB?

It may be that your RAM won't go way into 200s no matter what board you use...

Current mobo wont do over 200fsb no matter what. I know its the mobo cuz a7n8x's are known to not do over 200 most of the time. Ram is Corsair XMS Pro PC 3200 C2. So I know I can get more outta it.

I think im gonna pick up a nf7-s tonight, if i dont like it, i'll just trade my brother back.

If you get a good DFI then it's smooth sailing. Personally I've never had any issues (corrupt bios, warm/cold boots, warped socket) with two ultra infinities.
The lanparty B is the same as the UI except it's colored differently and has more "features."

Getting a dfi 24/7 stable isn't hard. I know mine is. I fold for weeks straight, play games, etc. on mine with no difficulties. The problem most people have is they expect more from their hardware than it can deliver. People complain that they can't get 250fsb stable. There are no other socket a boards that can deliver close to 250fsb, and it's most certainly not a garantee (sp).

I've never seen a dfi board do less that 255mhz fsb. I've never seen a defective board. You just have to invest some time in the board and it does take some previously existing skill!

65stang said:
Current mobo wont do over 200fsb no matter what. I know its the mobo cuz a7n8x's are known to not do over 200 most of the time. Ram is Corsair XMS Pro PC 3200 C2. So I know I can get more outta it.

I think im gonna pick up a nf7-s tonight, if i dont like it, i'll just trade my brother back.

Good luck with it.

crimedog, I agree with what you said about people expecting way too much out of their hardware, and it is true... you have to invest some time in it. that is all it takes. some people have that time some dont.

I have a board that does less than 250fsb, so I will take a pic and post it here for you :D j/k. I just need to up the voltage on my mem and it will be up there. I am also glad about your problem-free boards, and have fun with them. :clap:

The NF7-S once paired with good ram and the latest modded bios can get you 240FSB easily. If you get the OCZ DDR booster or volt mod for more VDIMM, 250mhz is super easy. I'm running OCZ premier at 233 on my totally stock board except for a zalman on the NB and heatsinks on all the right places.

Even though the problem depends on the board more than more that human fault, even so the LPb is AN EXTREAMLY ADVANCED USER BOARD! If you don't do your research or are just a noob, the DFI can be a pain in a half.

But if you DO do your research and have moderate/advanced overclocking skill. The LanParty is an awsome board. It has so many options and setting and thing you can change/turnoff/turnon/slow down/speedup to make your system faster and faster.

IF you think you can handel the LanParty/infintiy here's what I'd recommend. A XP-M 2600+ 0351 steppjng (seem to be doing very well), BH-5, BH-6 or OCZ 3700 EB in the size of your choice but go dual channel, cooling, HD of your choice. But possible most importan is a BIOS SAVIOR. I can give you a link if you wish. the ic an absolute wehn getting a DFI board. Flashing can be a huge problem with your board, even if you do everything right.

Hope I helped.

I went with a friend and we got him a Lanparty UltraB and I have to say I am VERY impressed with it. There are a few features that it has onboard which I really need on my NF7-S that it doesn't have.

-4 SATA Ports instead of 2
-2 Onboard Lans, GBit Lan instead of 10/100
-You can change the MAC address of your ethernet in the bios
-More options in bios; very fine tweaks... and there are multiple 'save slots' for all your bios options

Those are just some things that I miss on my NF7-S... but you really can't go wrong with the Abit either.. 80$

I was a long time Abit fan. Then recieved horrid support from them on afew KG7's. (note I am writing this on the BH6 in the sig) I had an asus a7n8x dlx 2.0 also and I have never had any board as bad as that one, nor have I ever had tech support so bad.

Abit makes good boards, but DFI makes my favorites. DFI is like the old abit. Think about it, they have all of the former top Abit eng's.

My lanparty ultra B is the most impressive board I've ever seen, and I hold it in the same esteem I hold/held the BH6 in it's day. I've also built the last 9 PC's that I've sold using DFI Infinity boards, and to top it all off, have recommended it in another dozen or so PC's built by friends.

The only board I've ever used that had stability problems out of the box, or no boot is the asus.

DFI boards have been worth every penny, and have performed flawlessly for me since I began using them last year.

Yes the DFI takes alot of tweaking to get it right but once your there it;s great. I would wait to upgrade to A64 IMO as it would be a much better upgrade over your current system then just a new board.

Back