• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Onboard RAID Controller Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoT

You can't fire me, I have
I'm using an Iwill XP333-R, and no matter what I do, I cannot get the RAID to work. I'm not trying to set up an array, but use it just as additional IDE slots.
When I plugged up hard drives to the RAID, Windows refuses to boot. When I unplug them, Windows works fine. I plugged up my optical drives to the RAID, and Windows boots...but the drives don't appear in Windows.

I'm using the latest RAID drivers with Windows 2000 Pro with SP4.

First thought. Have you double checked your boot order? Sounds like when you have them plugged in it can't boot past them but when they are unplugged it just bypasses them. Worth a check any ways.

*checks*

Edit: Nope.
1 - CDROM
2 - HDD0
3 - Disabled

I disabled CDROM, since they're hooked up to the RAID, and that changed nothing.

Last edited:
I took a look at the manual and it says that there are jumpers on the mobo that allow you enable the extra IDE ports. Unfortunitly it says there are defualt to enabled, so unless you changed the jumper at some point that wont be it. But double check to be sure.

I went through all the jumpers before I even put the proc in the board, but I'll double check to make sure.

Edit: Nope, it's just it's it should be.

During my boot I hit F4 if I want to configure my RAID array. I relize you don't want the drives in an array but maybe you have something like this so there may be some more options to configure in there. Like setting them to just be additional IDE drives.

repo man11 said:
Does the RAID controller seek drives on boot normally? Does it appear in device manager?

The RAID controller appears in the device manager. It shows the drives before the computer boots into Windows, after the POST.

ClarkKent said:
During my boot I hit F4 if I want to configure my RAID array. I relize you don't want the drives in an array but maybe you have something like this so there may be some more options to configure in there. Like setting them to just be additional IDE drives.

I'm going to poke around in that thing for a few minutes to see what can be done. Brb.

Edit: Nothing. All I could do was mess with arrays, of which, there can be none since I'm not using hard drives. :( I'm terrified to put any hard drives on the RAID controller and mess with arrays, because data loss would be catastrophic for me right now.

Last edited:
It wont boot on the RAID Controller if you didnt install from there even if you install the RAID Controller Driver. You have to install to that drive when its connected to the controller of choice AFAIK, as a long shot try to set your boot sequence to SCSI on all three of them. So far all the RAID Controllers out there have stopped support for ATAPI Devices since 2001, thats why your optical wont work on it.

I'm not concerned about booting from CD, just having CD drives. When I plugged up my hard drives though, Windows froze up about halfway through the boot process.

*bump* Any more suggestions? All help is appreciated :)

I never mentioned booting from a CD on a optical drive connected to a RAID Controller so to be clear let me rephrase what I said about ATAPI & RAID Controllers. They will not support any optical drive on the RAID Controller for any use. You can not use an optical drive on the RAID Controller to simply read data on CD/DVD media. There were problems with data read errors when optical drives were plugged into RAID Controllers.

Reinstall & don't forget to press F6.

Usually there is a small processs to make the Raid ATA.
If i remember durring the install of the O/S you must install the Raid Chipset drivers.That way the O/S sees the raid controller and your bios will then allow options for how you want to use the chip.

Then, Make sure jumper is set to ATA
Set bios for the raid chip to ATA
Install the IDE chip set drivers.
Then set boot sequence.Making sure raid is not an option anywhere for a sought after boot device. Hope this helps...

Once it is set to ATA it will not matter what type of drive you use .All Drives opticle and hard drive types should be readable with no problem....

Also once you have it set to ATA all devices can be master as long as u use only 4 devices 1 per cable per ide connect..Then slave any other drives attached to any of the 4 master cables

Last edited:
Keep in mind also that if a hd is on the array be it raid or standard ide it can change the hdd#.You could try setting boot order to hdd1,hdd2,hdd0 with boot other device disabled.That way it will look through all devices connected looking for the boot drive.The drive on the array may need to be set to cs or master depending on the drive and array.If they don't show up in my computer,go to disk management and refresh.They may also not show up until it is rebooted.

Back