• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What the .... is going on with my mobo?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver arrow

Hello everyone

I'll start with specs:
ABIT BH6 rev 1.01
512MB micron CAS2 ram
Celeron2 700
GF1 DDR

OK here is the problem.

I OCed my celery to 1.05GHz one time before, but it started to smell like it was burning. I though I've fried it, but everything was ok. So burned in the CPU @ 874 for a week.

Now I OCed it to 1.05GHz again. At 2.0v it had some errors, so I've set it to 2.05v. Since my gorb was hot, I got myself a fan for room cooling purposes :) Just for the time-being of my tests..

So I run 3dmark.. No crashes, great. I start up the burnp6. I wait like two minutes and then I decide to check out how heat is. The heat sink was a little warm, which was good. The back of my socket was cold, which was good. But I noticed some heat buildup from my mobo.
So I decided to stick my finger a bit deeper and - OUCH!!! I burned it! Now "What the HELL was that?!". I shut down the comp fast and I noticed small two black thingies with three pins on the mobo near the socket. They were so HOT I could even keep a finger on them.

So I notice that these thingies are attached to a metal thingie on a mobo.. You know sticked or sth. And the stick on one of them was melted!!! Thats what was smelling so bad the last time. It wasn't the damn CPU.

So what the hell is this? I need watercooling for my mobo?! :D
No seriously. Should I just forget about it and OC to 1.05GHz or will my mobo fry?!

thanks...
sa

LOL...sorry about the burned finger, man! The motherboard does contain a lot of hot components! The black thing with three pins does sound like a MOSFET. They regulate power on the motherboard, and they can get pretty toasty. I remember vividly toasting my knuckle on the clock generator on my A7V - it was only running 109 FSB at the time, but HOLY CATS was that thing hot! I instinctively jerked my hand back and skinned my knuckles goon on the edge of my case, too!

Overclocking can be painful!

Could you add a better description of the part that was melted? Have you done any voltage mods on your MoBo to allow you to boost the voltages higher than standard? Maybe locate an online users manual of the board and list which part it is on that guilde.

No, I don't have any mods. I just reflashed the bios and default voltage went up by .2 volts. It's kind of a bug, but I didn't have any problems with it before (I had a celery 333a and 566).

What is melted seems to be a glue of some sort behind the chip... I can tell you that it smelled like it was frying ... :)

here is what it says on the chips:

PH3
4TN03LT
P ?????? (unreadable)
PHLPPNES

whatever that means. . . .

there is also a cheramical thingie next to it with a coil of some sort? It was very hot as well.

Silver arrow said:
Hello everyone

I'll start with specs:
ABIT BH6 rev 1.01
512MB micron CAS2 ram
Celeron2 700
GF1 DDR

OK here is the problem.

I OCed my celery to 1.05GHz one time before, but it started to smell like it was burning. I though I've fried it, but everything was ok. So burned in the CPU @ 874 for a week.

Now I OCed it to 1.05GHz again. At 2.0v it had some errors, so I've set it to 2.05v. Since my gorb was hot, I got myself a fan for room cooling purposes :) Just for the time-being of my tests..

So I run 3dmark.. No crashes, great. I start up the burnp6. I wait like two minutes and then I decide to check out how heat is. The heat sink was a little warm, which was good. The back of my socket was cold, which was good. But I noticed some heat buildup from my mobo.
So I decided to stick my finger a bit deeper and - OUCH!!! I burned it! Now "What the HELL was that?!". I shut down the comp fast and I noticed small two black thingies with three pins on the mobo near the socket. They were so HOT I could even keep a finger on them.

So I notice that these thingies are attached to a metal thingie on a mobo.. You know sticked or sth. And the stick on one of them was melted!!! Thats what was smelling so bad the last time. It wasn't the damn CPU.

So what the hell is this? I need watercooling for my mobo?! :D
No seriously. Should I just forget about it and OC to 1.05GHz or will my mobo fry?!

thanks...
sa

I'd have to agree with the others.. and add just one more thing..

Who on earth overclocks with Gorbs? (sorry had to say it!) :).. I'm sure you cant get a better hs.. I'd recommend a millenium Galacitor.. but that might be more than enough :)

Good luck,

-Trek

Yep I agree definatly get a better HSF that one bites, if you want to keep heat in check and enjoy a nice overclock invest a few dollars and you will be happy. after a new HSF overclock it and see how things run hopefully repairs wont be needed but who knows. you may want to get a few case fans too :)

First of all YOU DIDN'T READ MY THREAD AS YOU SHOULD!

--> My CPU isnt, hot, two little chips on my mobo are! How is better HSF gonna help?! HUH?!?!?! HUH?!?!?!? My CPU doesn't crash, I am just worried about my mobo melting down!!!!!!!!!

Well then get me a better heatsink. Where I live, all we can get is an ORB. We don't have everything we want so I can be happy I have it at all! Am I supposed to order it online? And pay a heck-of-a-lot for shipping? I don't think so.

I'll start building watercooling in about two weeks, so HSFs won't be a problem anymore. I can't get any good HSFs here, but I can get all components for watercooling I need.

BUT EVEN when I will have watercooling, those two chips will still be hot.
Now I simply asked "WHY are they hot". And what I get is Your HSF sux, blablabla, DOWN WITH THE ORB.

I've decided to build a cooling for those two chips... 2 little heatsinks and one standard intel fan.. That should keep them cool.

I don't want my mobo melting down...

Last edited:
And sorry for my outburst I just hate it when I hear something like ORBs are for llamas. Maybe ppl in llama part o the world can only get llama stuff. :eek:

Silver arrow said:
there is also a cheramical thingie next to it with a coil of some sort? It was very hot as well.

That coiled dunot-like thingy is a noise filter. They are usually paired with capacitors, in order to reduce noise and energy peaks on the voltage lines.

The mosfet is used as a power regulator. It is commonly attached to heatsinks since they really get hot.

I would sugest you to cool the voltage regulators, but it seems to me that you took that decision.

Last but not least, don´t be affraid of soldering components to your mobo. The mosfets can be replaced if you think they are faulty.
It happened to me once, a mosfet got too hot for too long (weeks in fact) and ruined my board, so replace them if you think they are dying. Sure there are risks, but you only have take care and it´s allright.

Good Luck!

About the outburst, i´m ok with it.
In fact, I even agree with you, since here where I live there are also no options when it comes to cooling. To tell the true, there are no options for anything computer-related around here.

I´m sick of people telling my "that´s crap, buy a better one...".
It happens that I can´t buy a better one, or that I don´t want to buy a better one. I´m just trying to get the most from the gear I have.

You have my support when it comes to "outbursting" on subjects like this.

[]s

Slovenia. It's in Europe.

Do you have any suggestion on how to stick the sink to that voltage chips? I was thinking about thermal tape, because thermal paste won't hold them on...

I've been running my sistem at 874 MHz (83FSB) for 12 hours and those two chips are pretty hot too, but way cooler than when I was running my CPU at 100FSB.

Thermal tape, thermal glue, they all should get the job done. Since the mosfets are not so temperature-sensitive, you shouldn´t bother trying to stick it with thermal paste.

But if you´d like to try, you could use thermal paste on the middle and a bit of superglue or silicon glue on the corners of the mosfet. I know it´s small, so it will be a bit of a challenge.
You could also develop a clip or just tie it to the mosfet (if yours is standing up on the board).

Not much of a help I guess. I, myself, would try thermal paste with silicon on the corners. Let it dry overnight and it becomes very firm, but still easy enough to remove it in the future.

Anyway, good luck fellow!
[]s

Back