• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well, wish me luck on my two 9500np and my 9700 pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker550

I got them for a good price, the 9500np's all cost below $100, no one should pay even $100 for those anymore. They are red L shape ram. I also won a 9700 pro off ebay for $109 before shipping. Now I hope one or both of the 9500s softmod to 9700 without artifacts. If either does, I probably will resell the 9700 pro unless the modded 9500s overclock like dogs the the 9700 pro overclocks like a champ! Just in case neither 9500 mods, ill keep the 9700 pro only if it overclocks decent, someone I know hit 415/340 on his no mods with a vga silencer! I dont care what you say, I HATE cards that dont overclock well, my ti4200s overclock like champs, my ti200 does, my mx440 does, I only want to own cards that overclock marvelously. My first 9500np may arrive monday, ill find out how that does. If I do end up selling my 9700 pro back cause it doesnt oc well, maybe ill just wait with my 9500np till ati releases its x700xt which is 110nm and I hear overclocks GODLY, itll put anything out there to shame, including x800pros! the only catch its 8 pipes and 128 bit ram so I may have to think if I want that or keep waiting to find a good 9700 or 9800 pro

So you bought those cards with the risk of then not modding or OCing well at the same cost you could have bought a 9800pro with probabily an r360core and sammy memory? That could have been a 9800XT for the same price you just spent. If you have to do things the hard way, then go for it. good luck

a 9800 pro that does XT speeds is not enough of an overclock, not by a long shot and the 9800 pro is twice the price of the 9500np.......

Just edit the bios Mhz down... i edited the mhz on my friends 9800 flashed to XT till i was happy. Instead of 412/350 (or whatever XT is) i got 420/310.

~t0m

Overclocker550 said:
a 9800 pro that does XT speeds is not enough of an overclock, not by a long shot and the 9800 pro is twice the price of the 9500np.......

That'a not what I was talking about. If you flash a pro that is capable of doing XT speeds, it will be faster after the flash at the same speeds. Then you OC it even more, and it will be even faster. That is how I broke 7k in 3dmark03 from the 6400 I was getting with my pro bios.

the 9800pro may be twice as much as the 9500 but you already spent that money.......

show me your 3dmark 2001 score.........2003 is just about all gpu so I dont care for that

Overclocker550 said:
show me your 3dmark 2001 score.........2003 is just about all gpu so I dont care for that

My card has exceeded 3damrk01, at this point the score is all about the system performance. We are talking about video cards here, so 3dmark03 would be the test of choice.

of course youll beat me in 2003 but you wont touch me in games because I have the faster cpu and 3dmark 2003 does not use physics which games do

instead of buying three cards you could simply save up for watercooling or phase change, that would make your overclocks much better.

9800p's stomp on your cheap cards... why you can't get beyone XT speeds is beyond me. with simple water i get 450/385 easily.

or you could invest $15 in volt modding supplies :bang head

Overclocker550 said:
of course youll beat me in 2003 but you wont touch me in games because I have the faster cpu and 3dmark 2003 does not use physics which games do

I wont touch you in games? I am not done OCing yet, and when you say this type of crap you just motivate me to OC it even more...

Overclocker550 said:
maybe ill just wait with my 9500np till ati releases its x700xt which is 110nm and I hear overclocks GODLY, itll put anything out there to shame, including x800pros! the only catch its 8 pipes and 128 bit ram so I may have to think if I want that or keep waiting to find a good 9700 or 9800 pro

Hey, where did you hear that it overclocks GODLY? Is it from the same people that told you that the Winchester was overclocking like crazy? If I recall correctly, over at XS we asked for the links to all of the raves about Winchester overclocking, but you didn't have anything. You said it, and then tried to prove your point with a poll. So, could you please link to me any reports of x700 overclocking?

I have a feeling you're just speculating again.

At any rate, I (and numerous others) have told you the same thing that you're hearing here. You should've just saved the cash and bought a decent card. Yeah, your old 9800 Pro didn't O/C that well, but this new 9700 Pro you're getting most likely won't come close to where the 9800 went. The 9500s won't either.

I hope they mod and I hope you're happy, but I doubt you'll be satisfied.

I'll say what I said before. With all that cash you might as well have gotten an X800pro.

But, whatever, it's your money.

sandman001 said:
I'll say what I said before. With all that cash you might as well have gotten an X800pro.

But, whatever, it's your money.

yup, I guess they all got to learn some way. If he wants to do it the hard way, then so be it.

dreIU said:
I wont touch you in games? I am not done OCing yet, and when you say this type of crap you just motivate me to OC it even more...

with pleasure, my 3200+ hits about 2.6GHz so I hope yours can overclock close to what mine does. also can your 9800 pro go past xt speeds?

"lol, see how high you can get just for the hell of it"

probably better than my 9800 pro LOL

"Hey, where did you hear that it overclocks GODLY?"

nowhere and I am not making any claims, but at .11u and 500MHz starting clocks, if it can own a 9800 pro ill take that, if not then ill grab a really good clocking 9800 pro.

"You should've just saved the cash and bought a decent card. Yeah, your old 9800 Pro didn't O/C that well, but this new 9700 Pro you're getting most likely won't come close to where the 9800 went. The 9500s won't either."

and you know this how? are you gonna predict how well my 9500np and 9700pros will overclock? I am taking a chance here I know but with 2 9500s and a 9700pro, I think at least one will own my 9800 pro.

"I'll say what I said before. With all that cash you might as well have gotten an X800pro."

my cpus too slow for one of those plus its 512k cache wont take much advantage either. sure it will still be faster than a 9800 pro but I wont be close to maxing out an x800pro with current cpus.

OC550, I have had experience with quite a few 9500 and 9700's, and most will overclock to stock 9800pro core w/o voltmods, but the ram wont come close. This is personal experience if course, and others may have gotten lucky. Also, keep in mind that the 9800 is faster per clock.

"my cpus too slow for one of those plus its 512k cache wont take much advantage either. sure it will still be faster than a 9800 pro but I wont be close to maxing out an x800pro with current cpus."

Its odd then, that in modern games an Athlon64 2800+ with a 9500 loses to a duron 1.6ghz with a 9700 in nearly every case. I tested this out yesterday, and the ONLY thing the A64 won in was 3dmark01. Now if you play only CS and Quake3 this is an accurate benchmark, but I like farcry and splintercell a lot better than those 2.

Overclocker550 said:
"Hey, where did you hear that it overclocks GODLY?"

nowhere and I am not making any claims, but at .11u and 500MHz starting clocks, if it can own a 9800 pro ill take that, if not then ill grab a really good clocking 9800 pro.

Umm. Yes, you did make the claim that it overclocks GODLY. Your own words:

Overclocker550 said:
maybe ill just wait with my 9500np till ati releases its x700xt which is 110nm and I hear overclocks GODLY, itll put anything out there to shame, including x800pros!

Sounds like you were saying you actually heard something about its overclocking capability. That's definitely a claim.

The x700 might not be better than 9800s at 3dmark2k1. I know that matters a lot to you.

Overclocker550 said:
"You should've just saved the cash and bought a decent card. Yeah, your old 9800 Pro didn't O/C that well, but this new 9700 Pro you're getting most likely won't come close to where the 9800 went. The 9500s won't either."

and you know this how? are you gonna predict how well my 9500np and 9700pros will overclock? I am taking a chance here I know but with 2 9500s and a 9700pro, I think at least one will own my 9800 pro.

I'm not predicting anything. I never said it won't overclock well; I said it probably won't touch a 9800. It's just a fact. The R300 core has been out for a long time. I've owned my share of them and, like Yuriman, mine generally maxed out under 400. The only one I had that did a little better than that was my first 9500np that didn't mod. The highest my RAM has gone on any of my 9500nps was 320, and that was the card that didn't mod. The last one I had had 3.6ns Infineon RAM that didn't clock 1mhz beyond 275. The core on that one did about 360. These cores have been around a long time, so we can safely say about what they'll do it. It's not the same as predicting results for hardware that isn't out yet.

Overclocker550 said:
"I'll say what I said before. With all that cash you might as well have gotten an X800pro."

my cpus too slow for one of those plus its 512k cache wont take much advantage either. sure it will still be faster than a 9800 pro but I wont be close to maxing out an x800pro with current cpus.

Why in the world not? This just shows that you don't really play any games. An x800 Pro would take you higher than you've ever gone in 3dmark and it would play games much, much better than those 9500s or your Ti4200s.

I guess your CPU is too slow because you can't compete in 3dmark2k1 in the higher-end video card classes.

Overclocker550 said:
with pleasure, my 3200+ hits about 2.6GHz so I hope yours can overclock close to what mine does. also can your 9800 pro go past xt speeds?

"lol, see how high you can get just for the hell of it"

probably better than my 9800 pro LOL

I know I can OC the crap out of my CPU even more, but at the moment I have something a little more important to worry about... college. I have lots of headroom with my cpu, it idles @ 32C at the speed in my sig. Sure I can up my multiplier to 11 like you, but I want to get a higher fsb/htt.

My 9800pro Oc'ed to 430/380ish on stock cooling. After I turned it into an XT, I only had it at 420/375 and it got better scores than it did with the higher clocks @ pro, so I just settled at that (because I am busy and have no time to mess with it). Believe me, if I want to put the time in this card, it will be a monster.

Are you going to start modding your cards already?

Back