• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well, wish me luck on my two 9500np and my 9700 pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Very nice score OC! I ran my modded 9500 through 2K1 a while ago, but never saved the result since I'm more of a 2K3 person (my CPU is a big bottleneck, so I have no chance of possibly competing in 2K1, and even in 2K3 I have issues because of it :D)

JigPu

Overclocker550 said:
I can see you guys have your doubts and you give me a hard time for selling my crappy 9800 pro, well I got news man! my 9500np is at 425/335 so far without vmods, stock cooling. my friend is sending me his sk7. I doubt ill even vmod a fine piece of art as this but if I do, oh my! I already owned my 9800 pro. Yes this little 9500np overclocks better! what did I tell you guys? you were saying I would not come close to the 9800 pro I had! 3dmark scores comming soon, gonna post a screenshot with a side by side comparsion how far ahead this 9500 is vs. my 9800 pro LOL. Nice upgrade by the way :D

Interesting how in this post you didn't point out that you hadn't softmodded the card yet.

As you just found out, softmodding often takes a bit of overclockability off of the core.

We told you that this is basically what you could expect.

Overclocker550 said:
overclock that thing man, hopefully youll hit 9800 pro speeds. 9700s overclock a much higher percentage than the 9800 counterparts!

What in the world are you talking about? O/C a much higher percentage? You're going to have to prove that one, because everything I have seen (including my own experiences) show that to be false. Percentages are one thing, but final clockspeed is another (more important) factor.

Freezermug said:
Im not saying your overclocks are or are not possible or even wich card is better. All I wanted to ask was why a 9500 or a 9700 pro would beat a 9800 pro oced. Is the ram different? I feel stupid but I dont understand why you are better off with one of those cards verse just a different 9800 pro.

The other reason im asking is I have a 9700 pro with samsung ram that ive never oced. Since 9800 have come down I was gonna upgrade. I wont bother though if id be better of like what your doing.

The only reason he justifies going back to a 9500 is cost savings. The R300-based cards (9500s and 9700s) generally do not overclock anywhere near the level of a 9800 Pro. Your 9700 Pro will likely overclock fairly well, but consider that a 9800 Pro has a newer revision of the R300 core (the R350) that starts 55mhz higher than the 9700 Pro and memory that is clocked 30mhz faster at stock.

I would suggest that you overclock your 9700 Pro and put off upgrading for a while. I think the best upgrade for you would be an X800 card.

Wait... wtf was the point of all this... He spends $300 bucks (when he could've gotten 6800GT/x800pro), gets 3 slower cards and... gloats about how he can get 90% of his previous 9800 pro card that he claimed was crap? :confused:

EDIT: wait, are you GeforceTi4200 over at XS? If you are, then it clears up a lot of this stuff.

that is my plan, I think I will just stick with this 9500@9700 or my 9700 pro if it overclocks like a champ. What I dont get is why does it begin to stutter much past 350? does this happen to any of you? no artifacts or anything, the fps just goes lower and lower. at 410MHz I finally get white dots on my modded 9500 but the fps are like a third of what they should be. Is that a heat issue, the weak pipes acting up or just a physical limit? would better cooling even help? I have a 92mm fan blowing on the back now!

pduan87 said:
Wait... wtf was the point of all this... He spends $300 bucks (when he could've gotten 6800GT/x800pro), gets 3 slower cards and... gloats about how he can get 90% of his previous 9800 pro card that he claimed was crap? :confused:

EDIT: wait, are you GeforceTi4200 over at XS? If you are, then it clears up a lot of this stuff.

Yep, they're one and the same. He's also Thunderbird1ghz over at Sharky Forums and High_3dmarks at AMD forums.

Better cooling might help. Remove the shim and put some AS on the core. It might help a bit. The stock cooling solution isn't that great, though.

well that is a decent score for a 9500 but to be honest I'm a little disapointed in it.I thought you would be closer to 22k.for me the 3.1's have been th best for 2k1.they lose about 1-2 fps in nature but have consistently been 15 fps faster in dragothic low.personaly I can't wait to see the 9700 scores as the mem should be good for at least 350.

i can crank out 20.5k. with your cpu and similar clocks on your 9700pro, i'd think you should hit 22k.

i think its time to try and kill my card with some volt mods. 450 on the core here i come!

if it dies, i have a nice reason to buy a x800 ;)

Overclocker550 said:
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8091580

looks like a bad run in car low, meh :( well ill let my other 9500np come(if it doesnt softmod, its going strait out the door) and also I have a *real* 9700 pro on the way, again if that thing cant overclock like a champ, hoping for 380 to 400+ core and about 350 on the ram, ill just keep this 350/330 9500 for the time being till something better comes out, perhaps ill grab a 6600gt or x700xt if it offers enough bang for the buck. another thing and youll laugh when I say this, screw trying to get 22k or whatever 3dmarks, I am not gonna go thru a million 9700/9800s, its about time I enjoy my games, even at 350/330 its gonna be 90% the performance of a 9800 pro, id never notice the difference and I couldnt justify a 9800 pro for that either. 3dmark is a fun thing to try, but when it comes down to games, a 350/330 softmodded 9700 at 9700pro plus speeds is no wimp :D that is one thing everyone can agree on!

edit: yup, real bad run. got 295fps but it crashed in lobby low. darn cpus not too stable but I need all teh MHz for a shot at 21k ;) well im off to retry

Well I am glad you are finally going to enjoy your games.... but what about that comment that you would leave me behind in games due to your so much faster processor? right.

Overclocker550 said:
that is my plan, I think I will just stick with this 9500@9700 or my 9700 pro if it overclocks like a champ. What I dont get is why does it begin to stutter much past 350? does this happen to any of you? no artifacts or anything, the fps just goes lower and lower. at 410MHz I finally get white dots on my modded 9500 but the fps are like a third of what they should be. Is that a heat issue, the weak pipes acting up or just a physical limit? would better cooling even help? I have a 92mm fan blowing on the back now!

I had some similar issues with my 9800pro when I first got it. I tried upping the core and mem to ridiculous speeds. It did not have artifacts, just the frame rate was much slower than what it should have been. I think it is a heat issue... I backed off the OC a bit, then my scores went way up. Better cooling is crucial.

Chowdy said:
Stock cooling took my old 9500NP to 412/310 w/ softmod. Maybe your card's just reached its limit.

hopefully its just a heat thing, the core doesnt begin to artifact white dots till around 9800xt speeds of 412. the thing is it never stuttered before the softmod may point to the heat limiting me. its sure hot in florida, ya know. I can also get the core to 412 after softmod before getting artifacts, but it just begins to stutter. my 9800 pro never stuttered, just begin to artifact at 412. yes this 9500np is just as good as my 9800 pro LOL. also id still like to know who else has the stuttering problem besides me

My card stutters if I OC too high as well. I have a 9500 softmodded and OC'd to 325/275. Even with a vga silencer I would get only 350 before it started stuttering.

is there a way to extend rivatuner's max? I maxed her out at 345MHz and had to use powerstrip to countinue from there. also my powerstrip wont oc in 1MHz increments but rivatuner will. I will get better cooling for my best card, I have two 9700 pros on the way and another 9500np as well. Let me tell ya id rather pay way less than $150 and hope I get a lucky clock than pay $150 for someone to take the fun out of it with its nice overclock. I mean I might still pay if it was something like 450/370 clocks but meh

Shade00 said:
Yep, they're one and the same. He's also Thunderbird1ghz over at Sharky Forums and High_3dmarks at AMD forums.

Better cooling might help. Remove the shim and put some AS on the core. It might help a bit. The stock cooling solution isn't that great, though.

Ahh yes... The most hypocritical/misinformed/"my crap system beats your FX 53 at 2.7 because I tweaked my system" poster I have ever seen. Not to mention his wild estimates in 3dmarks :rolleyes:

Back