• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey I'm new here! HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

learner202

Registered
So this is my story. I have really started a new hobby! MODIFYING my computer. I have a HP pavilion a320n. I have upgraded to a gig of HyperX RAM. I have put an exhaust fan in 119 cfm too! LOUD! but cool! I also upgraded to a radeon 9800xt video card. I have the radeon x800xt platinum edition on reserve already. I drilled vent holed in the front side of cover and added a dual fan hard drive cooler. Now my next little project is a motherboard and cpu upgrade. This is where I need your help. I have a ASUS A7N8X-LA. Here is the specs link.... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00006476#doc
My current processor is a AMD athlon XP 2800+...

Now this is what I want to put in and tell me if I can ( compatible?)

AMD 3000+ 64-bit CPU -A643000BOX
MSI K8N Neo Platinum NForce3 Motherboard- MS04K8N-U

Here is the page I am looking at for it. http://www.mrcomputerpro.com

Just do a search for the model # to see specs stuff.

Thanks and I look forward to getting to know you all!!!!!

Also, is this motherboard a good choice? I am kinda lame with this stuff still. not for long! I am not sure of all what to look for!

i would suggest just reading a lot around here for a few days, do searches on the mb's and different things your seeing that you may want.
for instance, why not try to get a 9800 pro 256 and flash it to an xt card. than you basically have an xt for the 9800 pro price.
what power supply do you have?
WELCOME to the forums

Well, I already have the xt. I have an antac 400w power supply. I don't know what flashing a card is. Can you explain?

Thanks for the welcome!

learner202 said:
Well, I already have the xt. I have an antac 400w power supply. I don't know what flashing a card is. Can you explain?

Thanks for the welcome!
flashing is like genesis, where you erase all known life and recreate new life.
or like if they plugged you into a machine and erased everything you are and what you have done and implanted something else. like combat training and martial arts. you would no longer just be a pro, you would be an xt

rhino56 said:
flashing is like genesis, where you erase all known life and recreate new life.
or like if they plugged you into a machine and erased everything you are and what you have done and implanted something else. like combat training and martial arts. you would no longer just be a pro, you would be an xt

Thanks, I needed a good laugh, is that how you got all those stars? :p

Does anyone know much about the motherboard I mentioned? Is it fast? good?

like i said just do a search and learn about them, "good" is very subjective to where it is viewed from.
take some time and learn about each component you have and what it does, what its capabilities are, than if thats not suitable look for specifics.
like for instance, i want a motherboard that can go over 300 fsb and has onboard audio and can support quad cpus.
http://www.ocforums.com/search.php?searchid=195597

Just curious. Why would you want 4 cpus? What would you use all that for? I could see maybe 2. Just curious! I want to learn!

I have read a lot around here also. What do you all think about PCI express? What about DDR2?

Oh so they are GPUS not CPUS? I see. Is there a dual processor motherboard?(CPU)

Yes, I am not sure what all you wanted. I forgot how to screen shot it.

My final score is 5770

not bad, now you can try to tweak your machine and try it again. you can run the tests seperately also and that seems to help. you may be able to get 8000 :eek:

I don't know how to tweak it! I can tell you anything aabout my system if you can help me tweek it!

radeon 9800xt.......... and my ram is pc2700 333mhz

Last edited:
Back