• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey I'm new here! HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
learner202 said:
I need help if I am going to overclock anything. HELP!!!!!!!!!
well there is no quick answer really. not like i can say just get a oc knob and crank it until you see smoke then turn it back a bit.
so you got to start somewhere.
since you already ran 3dmark 2001 and got about 5800 i think this would be a good place to start reading that wont just confuse you.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=264879
nice vid card btw :)

I read that. I was aware of the 8 pipelines and such of my card. The catalyst that I got from ATI already enables overclocking of this card to my knowledge.

Is is possible to overclock the athlon xp 2800+?

I have looked around and not seen much on this processor. Maybe I am not looking in the right spot.

I read a ton. I have to bridge to overclock. This seems like a hard task. Testing the ram and stuff. Now I am baffled. I don't want to screw this all up and crash this computer. I use it for school also. hmm. :bang head

This is my current system:
AMD athlonxp 2800+
120GB Ultra DMA hard drive
Radeon 9800xt 256mb
1024 Kingston HyperX Ram pc2700 333mhz w/heatspreaders
Vantac Tornado 119cfm exhaust fan
Dual fan hard drive cooler
DVD-+RW& CD-+RW
400W Antac power supply.

When I go into the setup is this what I am looking for.... BIOS

Local Bus IDE Adaptor ..... options are: Disable, Primary, Secondary, Both
or maybe this:
I/O Device Config:eek:ptions are
Serial Port A address [3f8/IRQ4]
Parallel Port Address [378]
Port Mode ECP
PortIRQ IRQ7

I am not sure is any of these are the right spot to adjust the bios.

I am timid to overclock using these threads I used. I think there is to much information for a beginner. I kind of need a one on one tutor!

Also, thanks for the welcome. I look forward to learning some new stuff.

Last edited:
I adjusted some settings on my video card (Ati Catalyst) and just got 6531 for the final score for my 3dmark.

Last edited:
nice gain on the score. i am not sure with that board if you even can oc it, i know if you got it from asus you can but it may have a hp bios chip or something. your going to have to find a member who has the same mb as you, which shouldnt be too hard and see if they can guide you a bit.
but just keep reading about stuff here. almost every post here will make you smarter, except for a few i suppose.

I overclocked my video card. It did not like it a bit. It made the screen all weird.

i always seemed to have problems with rage3d, i use ati tool or ati tray
so far i like ati tray best because ati tool will get an error at one speed but 15 mhz higher and it wont.

Well, just stock on the card itself. I have dual intake fans-front and tornado exhaust on case

Back