• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long do you have to wait before you can OC brand new chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samwY

Registered
How long do you have to wait before you can OC brand new chip?

Do you need to break it in on stock speeds for a few days or something?

I check the temps in the bios for a few minutes at stock to make sure the heatsink is on right and there are no problems then overclock it.

Very first boot, I do not even let it get into windows. After the first boot, I restart the system and OC.

I like to boot into windows, run a sandra benchmark at stock speeds, then start overclocking so I have something solid to compare my new results to :)

I agree with Vertical_Zer0.

I don't believe in burn-in, but when I build a new sys, I'll Prime it at stock FSB, video card specs, & SPD memory timings, for anywhere from an hour, to overnight, depending on the time of day, & my hurry. I'll also do several Memetest passes. Then I'll run a few quick benchies.

This way I know my build is stable, w/o any overt defects, and I've got some base numbers to gauge my future performance increases, as I next begin to work on system optimization (OC'ing).

I usually try to OC one paramater/device at a time. If probs develop during my OC'ing, I now know they are a direct cause of my specific OC attempt, and I do not have to haphazardly guess what may be the problem with the multitude of issues that can occur when attempting to OC a brand new untested build.

JMO's

Strat

Stratcat said:
I agree with Vertical_Zer0.

I don't believe in burn-in, but when I build a new sys, I'll Prime it at stock FSB, video card specs, & SPD memory timings, for anywhere from an hour, to overnight, depending on the time of day, & my hurry. I'll also do several Memetest passes. Then I'll run a few quick benchies.

This way I know my build is stable, w/o any overt defects, and I've got some base numbers to gauge my future performance increases, as I next begin to work on system optimization (OC'ing).

I usually try to OC one paramater/device at a time. If probs develop during my OC'ing, I now know they are a direct cause of my specific OC attempt, and I do not have to haphazardly guess what may be the problem with the multitude of issues that can occur when attempting to OC a brand new untested build.

JMO's

Strat

well said. i like your approach. i would say i basically do the same, mainly for peace of mind after i oc. :)

Start as soon as I put it in my system.
I increase the FSB by 5. Then run any torture tests.
When my system crashes or runs unstable, I decrease 1 by 1 'till it's stable.

Hmmm good question.. usually its as long as it takes to get the friggin shrink wrap off. :D Granted its a conservative OC, but its still an OC. My 6800GT wasnt stock for more than maybe 1 min. Just long enough to get my drivers online and find coolbits2 ;)

Steps to my OCing

The Day of Install
Rip old CPU out and wait
Grab from Fedex guy
Run into my room and rip it open
Slap it in and hit that power button
Bios and jump that FSB up to something you think it should hit at least @ 1.6V
Continue til you think its stable enough to load windows (in other words keep uppping FSB until it doesn't load the bios)

The Testing
After booting to windows open a few games and run for 15-60min to test for stability, running 3d marks and benchmark programs work also
After all that and getting it stable enough to run those, fire up prime and try to walk away from the computer

Those are my basic steps to Overclocking and how long I wait til I OC it to its limit :D

I agree with deathman. I just got a sl7kc yesterday; I ginsu knifed it out of the package, slapped it in the slot and then set to hand lapping the heatsink with a diamond stone (my priorities... :cool: ) . After firing it up, it stayed stock for about 45 seconds. Sure you could run some tests all night to check to make sure everything is alright, or you can start cranking the dial right now and find out if it works or not.

BTW, I'm at 3.9 prime stable on stock air. :D

Back