• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PIII 933EB 133FSB or PIII 1Ghz 100FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicho

I would like your advise.

What should I buy? A PIII 933EB 133FSB or a PIII 1Ghz 100FSB cpu for my Asus P3V4X?
Which one has higher processing capabilities without oc?
What about with normal oc, without fancy cooling rigs?

Right now I have a PIII 667 which is a dog for oc!!
I use it mainly to play driving games.

After this purchase I will wait for the prices of the new P4 to come down and I will buy a new mobo and cpu. Maybe early next year!!

Thanks for helping.

I would go for the 933 since you already have the extra bandwidth that a 133MHz FSB will provide. The 1000E won't give you quite as much. You'd be lucky, in my opinion, to hit 1.2GHz with it and then you're stuck with only a 120MHz bus speed.

The 933 should be able to hit a 150MHz FSB (both my 1GHz do it easily) which would give you a 1050MHz processor. The 1000E might give you about 100-150 more but that extra memory bandwidth will make more of a difference I believe.

These speeds should be quite obtainable with normal air cooling. Just make sure it's 'GOOD' air cooling.

Also, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Hope you stick around for a long time to come. You've found the greatest forum on the net...not to mention the most helpful.

Hi Wicho, wellcome to the Forum,
For me the best choice is the P/// 1Ghz with Fsb@100Mhz coz more Overclockable than the other for the lower Fsb, that you can rise @133Mhz gaining a good 1333Mhz.
About theyr performance not OCed, well I think that are really close, one for the higher Fsb, and the other for the Mhz.
About the P4, I think that the best way is really wait for a while, but at the moment I prefer an Amd, is cheaper and stronger!

I hope it helps you ;)

Well Let me toss my hat into this ring.
I am going to have to say that its a real toss up. You can go 933 and get some good PC150 or 160 ram and might get as much out of that 933 as you would the 1gig but I myself would always stick to the 100mhz FSB because you can play with it more.

I agree that the 933 would give you more headroom.

You need good components to run the PCI bus and RAM out of spec, so unless you have them or are willing to upgrade other items don't get the 933.

I think neither are the best option. Get a 1GHZ cD0 (with the 133 bus), overclock it like I have.

Yet another here that is 100% with Jon on this subject.
FSB will make up for (and some) for the loss of MHz.
With good RAM 150+ FSb can and will happen

1GHz P3 just doesnt have any headroom, can do much more t that chip

I agree with Jon on the bandwidth issue but to get the most bandwidth out of the 933 you will need pc150 memory. Since your still deciding on which CPU to get dont mess with either get the p3 1g 133 as pinky said its very close to the 933 in price and you get a few more MHZ, if your stuck on which cpu to get in between the 1g\100 or the 933\133 definatly get the 933 you will not notice the 67MHZ but the bandwidth you will definatly see 133 is slow enough without going back to a ancient bandwidth speed Dont laugh off the p3 1g its still a fast CPU when overclocked i think mine is still in the top 25 in the Seti times per work unit only the new high end AMD's are giving me a run for the money [and thats just a few]

Last edited:
Need an slocket for the 1Ghz 133FSB?

First of all, thank you all for your welcome messages and for the replys to my question.

Pinky and everyone else,

Will I need an slocket to get the P3 1Ghz 133FSB running in my Asus P3V4X slot 1 mobo?

If so, which one should I get?

I know that with a slocket I can vary the core´s voltage, but can I mess with the FSB speed?

Yes you will need a slotket. What one to buy... lots of good reports with IWill slotket...
i use a genaric one(no local IWill slotkets, and the ASUS ones didnt suport FCPGA at the time) that lets me change Vcore, FSB, in the bios.

Regarding what the slotket lets you change.. totaly depends on the slotket, some dont let you change anything.. some FSB only, some FSB and voltage.

I personaly like the ones that let you set the slotket to AUTO, and controll everything in the BIOS.... Jumpers can be a pain to have to change all the time.

once you get your slotket... and if it doesnt have voltage options... i can help you do a voltage hack, this will let you have a few extra volts to push your CPU with.

Back