• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 3000 Temps...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Teger

Registered
Athlon64 CG Stepping
Chaintech VNF3-250 (7/29 bios)
Stock speeds / some overclocking... Temps usually the same? :eek:

Picked up the combo from newegg for my new PC on a budget and it's performed hella nicely. Temperatures though are really beginning to annoy me here.

I started out with the stock heatsink and a tornado strapped ontop.

Idle - 48C
Load - 55C
Case - 31C

The 7/29 bios supposedly corrected temps. I'm using motherboard monitor to watch temps... Matches what is in the bios as well.

Recently picked up an XP-90 with a 92mm Tornado..

Idle - 46-48C
Load- 53-54C
Case -31C

The Case temp *never* changes - it's 31 as soon as I boot up. And oddly enough - whenever I load up a CPU heavy program - prime or Dreamcast Emulation - the temp skyrockets VERY quickly. 1-2 seconds and it reads up at load.. As soon as I close the window - 1-2 seconds later it's back down to 48C.

Safe estimate to assume that the temperature sensors are ****ed?

People here have loaded up the new bios and had it work fine for temps.. I'm not sure if this board has an issue or not.

With the stock HS - I could feel the temperature warm up rather quickly by sticking my hand on it..

The XP-90 is usually damned cool though no matter what. Never really warms up although I can detect a little heat as I get progressively closer to the base - of course.

Should this be something to not worry too much about?

The main question I suppose - I'm curious if an incorrectly installed heatspreader might be an issue. I'm so tempted to yank it off and Arctic it back on.

Or should I not worry and trust my fingers? Damned little numbers in the corner are just so annoying though =/

EDIT - as a side note - turning up the fan seems to make *no* difference whatsoever according to reported temps.

your sensors are most likely fine. wenever i go from folding to not folding i jump temps very quickly. my case never moves from 25C. the only sensor that is wrong half the time is the die sensor, as opposed to the socket. since electricity moves so fast and the cpu itself is so small you can easily see huge temp changes quickly.

think of it this way, lightning doesnt take 20 mins to heat up, only a fraction of a second. cpu temps are along the same lines as a lightning bolt. easy stuff

Edit. if ur in that much doubt reinstall hsf and re-arctic it. hell. ive done it 3 times out of paranoia already

The odd part is that the temps are nearly identical.. I'm almost absolutely certain that it is mounted correctly.

Tell me though - how in the hell do you have such low temps? 24C idle??? What is your ambient? Jesus christ man. That's hard to believe =X

I'm on a newcastle as well. I'm getting really curious though if my IHS is mounted incorrectly. Very tempted to just rip it off at this point and reapply.

A question - I've use AS in the past. Using AS5 right now - is there a difference though as to how it is applied on the IHS? I've got a super thin layer covering the entire surface.. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

Hmm Teger few days ago I posted about this. I'm using the exact same mobo/cpu as you did and I'm running 49idle and 58 load on 7/29 bios(stock, no oc), with stock bios (3/8) I'm 20 idle and 29 load, 5/x bios 55 idle, 65 load. This is really weird I think they're way off. I've having the exact same problem as you did. Right now I have 80mm torando on top of stock withi 7/29 bios oc'ed this baby to 2.5ghz with 1.6 vCore (in bios) and it is not 50 idle and 66 load at max when priming...here is the link about it.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=326286&highlight=a64+runs+hot

I've noticed a slight drop in reported temps and I know for a fact.. the heatsink is a TON cooler. It's just reporting like hell though - I'm still really tempted though to rip the CPU out and cut it up...

May take it over to a friend's MSI Neo Plat and pop it in just for kicks to see what happens.

The board is excellent aside from this issue though I must say.

You might as well check out on the "Other AMD Motherboards" section, there is a huge post about the vnf3-250. I'm going to put everything on stock now and see what my temp is with tornado on.

EDIT: 43 idle, 52 load..with tornado on 7/29 bios. 17 idle 25 load with 3/8 bios.

Last edited:
Ok with this thing oc'ed, it is heating up...50 idle and 72 load..lmfao I believe this is ***ed up...or my cpu would be fried already...

It does feel somewhat hot but not too hot, I can handle the heat from touching the very bottom of heatsink...but I dont think ths is right....

untitled209.jpg

Last edited:
Back