• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Ducts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grov

Disabled
Do fan ducts afctually do anything?

I workin a factory with my dad, and he could easily cut me out some thin metal ducts, the width of the fans.

I was thinking , would adding a duct, from the fan, into the case help? Like on intake or out-take fans?

For example i have 2 x 80mm fans at the back of my case, would adding a duct, from the fan, to the inside of the case, get more of the ht air out? same on blowholes, etc?

One of the common ducts is the side panel to the CPU. Just make a hole over the CPU and duct to the CPU. You don't have to have it sealed or anything, just enough to get the good cool air into the CPU fan. Another option for a duct is bring cool air from the back fan to the CPU, the only drawback to this method is you have to make sure the exhaust don't get mixed into the intake. i.e.- Make sure your PSU exhaust don't get sucked into your new duct mod.
A blowhole if you have the room ontop your case can make the process of convection much more efficient. Hot air rises. Make sure that you have your cables cleaned up on the inside of your case (if you haven't already) for a good air pattern. You might get a good drop in temps doing this. Yes for most doing ducting mods can have a great boost in cooling your PC down.

Yeah, i was thinkin of that, but i have a side window, don't want to crack it, for the CPU duck.

I do alreadsy have 2 blow holes on top 80mm's, y cables are a mess, i can't tidy them up no matter what i do.

On your cabling,
Well you can sleeve them or hide them behind the motherboard tray. That is a common way to get better airflow.
On Ducting,
You can bring a non conductive vent (like AC/heater ducting) from the front of the case(low fans) and duct it to the CPU.

Thanks for the link, very helpful.

Think im gonna mack the mod, with a 120mm fan.

Oh by the way, how far does the duct have to go? right up the fan on the CPU sink?

Oh by the way, how far does the duct have to go? right up the fan on the CPU sink?

If you have the time, make the duct fit right onto the cpu heatsink fan. You want absoutely no mixing of the warm case air with the fresh cool air in the duct.

If your side window is plexiglass it should be easy enough to cut with a coping sawblade. Dont use a power tool. They melt the plexiglass and effectively weld your cut back together. If you want to make it look pretty, you can use a rounded file to smooth the edges off and cover it with a fan grate.

Yeah, thanks.

Can i just clear somet else up.

You have a fan on the side of the case blowing in, and the fan right on top of the heatsink.

See i have me slk900 at the mo, but iam getting a 3700+ amd 64 with stock sink soon....

Went from 55c idle to what I have in my sig.
You can easily duct air from the front of the case if you don't want to cut the side panel. I'm using a 120mm delta.

http://www.svc.com/ovcokitbl.html

^ That is what I have. It's a very nice kit. Comes with a power supply chimney, 60, 80, 92mm ( it says 80mmx3 on the site but mine are all different sizes) fan to duct adapters, a filter, screws, straps.. every thing you need.

I had my cpu ducted from the rear of my case. I couldnt make a hole right above my cpu because of my Chieftec case has a latch I couldnt drill through.

It works best when you use the same fan that is on your heatsink. You use 2 fans, 1 on the end of the duct push air in from the outside and the other sitting on your heatsink blowing down. Why you should use the same fans at both ends going the same speed so you dont get positive or negative resistance inside the duct.

The link above shows you the ways to set it up, it's not hard and does work. I dropped about 5 degrees C.

O ya, you wont crack you side window if you use a hole saw or a roto-zip. Just take you time and dont press very hard.

Cool link.

So will it work just as good with a duct from the side?

Might do somet similar over the video card as well.

Ill get me dad to cut it out, heh, he has a hole punch at work, he did my case with, dunno about the plastic though.

Its all depends on where to cooler air is outside your case.
Because of the way my case sits the air on the side is a little warmer than the air in the front. So I went with the front.

If you have the time, make the duct fit right onto the cpu heatsink fan. You want absoutely no mixing of the warm case air with the fresh cool air in the duct.

You might not want to do this as the duct will also blow cool air over the rest of the board especially the power regulating circutry. ( prescotts put these under a huge load)

The CPU fan will pull all the cool air it needs from the duct and the added benifit of cooling the power regulator out ways the benifit gained by sealing it to the CPU

My duct stops about 3/8 inch from the top of the HSF
Just my 2 cents
Dave

Ya, it all depends on how and where your case sits. I had to have mine pull from the back because that was the only way it would work.

In theory you want the duct to have as little bend as possible. Thats why if you put the hole right over the cpu it will be a straight shot.

Or, if your heatsink is good for this, reversing the heatsink fan and blowing the hot CPU air directly out.

This is not as good for the CPU but is better for the rest of the things in your case (drives, motherboard, ...)

the wesson

Im wondering if ive got my case in the wrong place as well.

I have a wooden unit, and the PC sits near the floor on wood, in an enclosed bit, and wood is all around it, about 3 inches from the sites, and 8 inches from the top.

If course wood is an insulator so??

Right.. It's going to get hotter inside the wood cabinet. Is it enclosed all around it? I have mine in a cabinet aswell but the back is open and there is a gap in the front where it draws air front.

You might want to relocate yours if you can, it would help allot.

Well no, the back and front are open of course.

As for the mod, do you have to use the same size fan?

Would it be better to use say a 120mm fan on the side panel, and whatever the stock AMD 64 sink uses?

You can use a 120mm fan for the side panel. If you make a duct, just leave about an inch of space between the duct and CPU fan, that way the extra air will flow out onto the N/B and mosfets.

Back