• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to build a home server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nissmo300

By sever I mean I want to build a computer with like 4-5 200 GB drives and connect my my computers to it through a router. That way I can put all my files on the "server" and be able to use them with all my computers. I also want to be able to backup. For example, lets say I want to backup my drive with Norton Ghost and it askes be where I want to save I would want to save it on the "server" instead on the same computer in a different partition.

I need some help/tips on what to start with as I never did this before. Thanks.

Id say get an old PIII or better system and buy a few ATA100/133 or ATA Raid cards. They could also be serial, no difference. Then install XP or some NT class OS (XP or 2k is better) or even Linux depending on your linux knowledge. Then with whatever OS you use you will share the drives and then you can connect to them with your computer. You can even have the shared drives in My Computer on your system which makes getting to the shared stuff even easier.

A file server is pretty simple really. Just think another computer with alot of HDs that are shared. You dont even need any special software. :)

Oh and I reccomend making sure there will be an up to date AV installed on it too. Which should be obvios. :)

If you have any more questions feel free to ask and I or someone else will help.

does the speed of the computer (processor, memory, etc) play any part or it doesnt matter?

Depends on usage I'd say.

With prices the way they are I would say get a midrange Athlon XP socket A or a P4 (533 bus). I think an older system would be fine but these systems would have better memory bandwidth and could even run a game server if you ever wanted, assuming you play games needing a server.

Its really up to you and just do some research maybe and wait for some posts from other users before you go out and buy something. I dont want to really reccomend something more than you would need.

My fileserver also runs other types of servers too. Plus mine runs a webserver, FTP, forums, fileserver, shoutcast server for LAN, and game server. So for me more power is better.

Most of my parts for my system were from when I upgraded or bought parts used from the forums. My "do all" server's specs are:
-unlocked Barton 2500+
-512MB PC2700
-4 - 40GB HDs (soon to be upgraded)
-Lite-On 8X Double Layer DVD+/-RW Drive (for backups to DVDs)
-Lite-on 52x24x52 (backups to ocasional cd)
-Abit NF7-S
-Geforce 4MX 128MB

Back