• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mysql is killing me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

G-PHoRCe

i'm trying to set up an apache server http://kahira.no-ip.com/
i've set up the apache with php and now i've tried to do the next step whic is to use mysql in order to use php nuke....(tell me if i'm wrong, i'm new at this)

i've instaled mysql then launched winmysqladmin and the programs flashed once and went in my task bar showing a stoplight (green light) i made some research online and i installed the 3.51 driver... also went to command prompt and followed this http://internetmaster.com/installtutorial/configure_mysql.htm but when i hit enter after this line.
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'your_username'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'your_password' WITH GRANT OPTION;
i get this
ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresp
onds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'password' at line 1
:bang head :bang head :bang head

can anyone help me with this matter??? i have this same server running ftp if you want to send me some files that i may be missing or even better, the code that i may be missing ftp://kahira.no-ip.com/
thanks for the help.

You did expand out 'your_username'@'localhost' and 'password' to actually be those, right?

I.e. xwred1@localhost

On their site, they have what they say is a nice new mysql installer. Maybe it will do this for you?

I know you already have apache and php but you might want to try one of the all in one's like PHPDev,
Foxserv, or appserv. They all come with apache, php, and mysql already packaged together. Diggingforgold has a great sticky HERE which give a great step by step and uses appserv. I have used PHPDev before and it was nice and it inlcuded the Invision Buletin Boards but I have been using the FoxServ for some time now. ITs probably getting outdated but its working like a charm...

Fightingpiper said:
I know you already have apache and php but you might want to try one of the all in one's like PHPDev,
Foxserv, or appserv. They all come with apache, php, and mysql already packaged together. Diggingforgold has a great sticky HERE which give a great step by step and uses appserv. I have used PHPDev before and it was nice and it inlcuded the Invision Buletin Boards but I have been using the FoxServ for some time now. ITs probably getting outdated but its working like a charm...
i've read the sticky and appserv gave me an hard time because eventhou it came in a package, appache and php would work together so i end up instaling appache2 from apache.org and php5 which worked until i've instaled mysql witht the wizard..
i think i've read so much documentation that when i'm done with this i'll get a phd in web server... :)

Last edited:
also, unless i'm wrong, i believe that PHP5 doens't have mysql support (Functions) compiled into it. I remember this when my friend tried to setup his own server and it didn't work with mysql properly because of PHP5, I think if you check the php documentation, it tells you whats different in php5 than php4.

I don't think they'd remove Mysql support from the stock builds of php5, too many people use Mysql.

I heard they are still working the bugs out of php5 and that it's not always friendly with older code.

EDIT: I added the link to the guide you found to the appserv sticky in case anyone has problems with appserv and wants to install everything manually. Thanks.

Last edited:
Php5 just came out so probably has bugs, but going between major versions of php (i.e. php3 to php4) has ALWAYS broken some older code, simply because some of the mechanisms in the language changed.

diggingforgold said:
I heard they are still working the bugs out of php5 and that it's not always friendly with older code.

EDIT: I added the link to the guide you found to the appserv sticky in case anyone has problems with appserv and wants to install everything manually. Thanks.

hahahah i had a power failure while i was editing some windows ' file... i'm done installing windows one more time (which i'm now good at since i've taped the cd's case on my tower...) and you are very welcome for the link, your sticky helped me out a lot until mysql acted like a wild animal... i'll post my log with nukePHP as sooon as i reinstal the apache php mysql package.

Back