• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DNS problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TalRW

My cousin is living in an appartment sharing a wireless connection. She is having trouble connecting to major websites like google.com yahoo.com dslreports.com but can connect to sites like download.com and ocforums.com :attn:. Anyways I think she is having a DNS problem because she could connect to sites like google.com and yahoo.com if she used the IP's 66.94.230.34 and 216.239.39.99. I tried doing some work on her computer using netmeeting and I ran antivirus and spyware checks (adaware spybot) and other stuff and it all came up empty. Occasionally I could get google and yahoo to work for a while but if I cleared her cookies it would just stop working again. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this, if you need more info I'll be happy to get it.

Put a known reliable DNS in her config.

If that doesn't help, run a packet sniffer and see what happens. Nobody seems to do that.

You don't sit around a broken computer looking at it, contemplating what could be wrong, instead of opening it up and fixing it, do you? ;)

You have to look under the hood, otherwise its wild turkey chasing like most threads on here.

Ok I fixed it, for some reason her primary DNS server wasn't working so I switched to her alternate and it works fine now.

Back