• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help overclocking my P4 3.0E Prescott

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VerizonDSL_Tech

Registered
I'm having a little difficulty overclocking my P4 3.0E Prescott... I tried following a guide I found on another site tailored for my specific CPU, but my computer shuts off a second after turning it on, so I had to reset the BIOS with the jumper. Briefly the guide said first to perform the burn-in tests, which I've done and had success. Then it said the next thing to do was enter the BIOS and set the VCore right to 1.7v, Vdimm to the max allowed my manufacturer and memory timings at SPD. Then then next step would be to start overclocking the CPU in increments of 5 MHz until system becomes unstable, at which point I should begin lowering memory timings and voltages gradually until system becomes unstable.
I guess from my experience following the stupid guide, something must not be right with the voltage settings, which I was a little suspicious about initially... you know, setting my voltage settings right to the max from the beginning?
Overclocking newbie at work here... be gentle with my brain... a little help, please? :D
Bottom line... what voltages SHOULD I set initially?

Prescotts should not exceed about 1.5v. Whoever wrote that guide was on drugs. Personally, I prefer seeing how high I can overclock at default vcore at first.

I agree with Batboy totally. I took my 3.0E to 3.6 on defualt vcore. Also at 5:4 divider. Then I upped the vcore to 1.55 and can run it at 3.75(250fsb) with a 5:4 divider all day long. but right now I run it at 3.45(230fsb) on default vcore with 1:1 divider.

I would just make sure you have AGP/PCI in LOCKED or FIXED, then I would run the divider at 5:4 and see how high you can get. You should be able to run at 3.45 (230fsb) with 1:1 divider on stock vcore without a problem.

Also, to get a good stable overclock, I would use some highend air cooling or watercooling or phase change (for the extreme oc'er).

Note: My entire system is watercooled, so I can achive the higher speed with less vcore and temp issues.

Good luck!

What if my BIOS doesn't give me the option to set my AGP/PCI to 'Locked' or 'Fixed'? I looked everywhere and couldn't find the option. Any suggestions?

Yeh I've been playing with My 3.0 and the highest I can get it to is 238 with out playing with the vcore. I have an asus p4p800 se and the AGP/PCI option is there it's in the jump free advanced configurations in the BIOS. put the DRAM Frequency to 320 or 333 and voltage at I think it's 2.75, then play with the FSB you should be able to get to were I am. It's doing 3.57 right now but the temp's jump around a little, nothing too crazy though. Hieghest is 51 degrees so far burning a DVD.

I'm curious to exactly what the point of locking the agp/pci at 66.66/33.33? what happens if you set it any higher?

Back