• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do you overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

9mmCensor

Disabled
Just wondering, why people actually practice the dark art of overclocking?

I personnally overclock for the single reason, of being able to play games with better FPS.

Curious as to what others think.
(I did search - found nothing)

Because I think there is great potential in all of us that has yet to be tapped. Including machines. But mostly it is to be different.

i orginally did it to save money and have a good lan rig. but noe i do it cause A. Ican and B. Its like a challenge to push it further and further. and C. I lcimb it because it is there.

NewbiePerson said:
It was one of those things where it seemed like there's no reason to not do it.

I agree with that, and because I'm poor and don't see a reason for buying a top of the line cpu when the same perforance can be had for a quarter of the price

Xenocide said:
chicks dig overclockers, atleast mine :D

and, because i can?

OMG! I saw only 5 replies and I was like, awesome, time to make a funny and there is Xenocide.
:bang head

I don't overclock anymore because my system is sort of obsolete, but when I did, I did it because it was a challenge. I was trying to take my pc to the limits and the more I tried the farther I got (except when my ram crapped out ;)). Happy overclocking!
:cool:

Matt

I overclock because I have to underclock my ram for on my motherboard, and need to pick up the slack someplace.

plus it is just cool ;) I mean don't all the popular kids overclock?

Pretty much to because I can, performance gain, and to irritate people. The irritating people is kinda fun. Particularly my brothers. Both are dead set against any sort of OC. Except for my current main rig, all my CPU's are out of their warranty period (there goes their "you'll void your warranty!" argument) and I haven't burnt one yet. one of my overclocked Celly's, with a lesser vid card benched better in 3DMark2K1SE better than one of by brother's systems. :D But, for the most part, it's just something I do, just because I can, and I know how to. It's sad because it's almost instintive. You know how wrong setting a FSB at stock speed feels when I'm at work? 133, 166, and 200 are just un-natural numbers to me now... :D

At first it was to save money by getting the performance of a higher priced computer at a lower cost. Then it evolved to pushing the edge of hardware and see how far it would go. I also get the benefit of a cutting edge overclocked mahcine that plays games and encodes video faster :D Right now it's moving towards custom mods where I can make a PC that looks different than anything you can buy off the shelf.

b/c we can, it's cheap, it's fun, and most importantly it's knowledge that we like to have, it's human nature that we are curious what's it's gonna be like :). I quit OC for a while now, the rig i'm using in my sig had been at stock, now my goal is to make a quiet machine, not quite there yet since I lack money :).

I do it to get the best gaming performance that I can because I never had enough money for top of the line stuff but If I did have the right stuff I wouldnt feel the need to overclock.
I dont have the money to replace anything that might go wrong with overclocking so right now I'm running stock speeds.Just when I thought Overclocking a video card didnt really have any risks,my friend burnt his card so that scared me a bit.
I also hate the sound of high speed fans that you have to use to get better cooling.I like my pc quiet as can be.You could say I'm on an overclocking vacation.

2 reasons,
1.) I'm too stupid to leave things as they are, I've got TTMTS (Tim the Tool Man Taylor Syndrome), MORE POWER ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH!!!!!

2.)I'm too cheap to buy the latest overpriced doodad on the market.

Performance gain, it's fun, it's a challenge.

Plus, I have problems leaving things well enough alone.

Back