• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do you overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For better performance at little extra cost.

*looks at his 9500np that would make page 1 on Futuremark's 9800np list :D*
JigPu

Because my present girlfriend made me give up hunting and I still have this urge to kill things.

Turd wins the award for the best response.

I don't know why I do honestly. I think I'm addicted or have a problem. Something productive to do. Either way it's ruined a few relationships, so yay for being saved, maybe thats why, keeps women away.

man, we gotta use those free neural path on our brain to do something. so we are pushing both limits. hehehe....

At first was because I was amazed that I could no such a thing for no extra cost...riiiiiight.....about a year later (in oct 30th) I've spend over $1000 just at newegg and I'm pretty sure I didn't make that much money this year, what can I say I don't work much and money doesn't make want to work, unless there are two hot chicks at work (aaahhh Summer camp and the hot coworkers.)

Why do I overclock?

To push the limits of computing performance. I am never satisfied and want things to go as fast as they possibly can. Plus, I'm inquisitive and love to tinker with PC technology in general.

If I can buy a CPU and get more performance from it for free just by changing a few settings in the BIOS and possibly changing the cooling, why the hell not do it. :)

Because I won't be rode.

The key economic concept one must grasp in order to make intelligent PC decisions is that of the tiered marketing approach. Manufacturers sell crippled versions of the real product and/or chips rated for a mere fraction of their true clock speed capability to create low-end products. These products often cost no less to manufacture than the high end ones, and in fact at times cost more to manufacture. But makers are willing to essentially give away these products in order to create a baseline price that they will inflate 2-5 times in pricing the real stuff.

They then hope that they have done a good enough job in crippling the affordable products that in combination with all the hype they can muster it might motivate the buyer who has any standards at all to opt for the (ridiculously overpriced) higher-end products. For this choice they are taxed heavily (something I refer to as the dumb-*** tax).

When a 1.8a and a 2.4b are the same thing, why spend more for the 2.4b. Especially when 1.8a's will run 2.4GHz in almost every case. If i865 is as capable as i875, why pay the premium for 875? It goes on and on.

In the end I don't care what the manufacturer's priorities are. I am only going to spend what the mainstream products cost, all marketing games be damned. They will have to punch somebody else's buttons if they want a response. Personally I will continue to use knowledge and hard work to approximate the performance of the high-end systems with as unlikely a collection of "second rate" components as it may take.

Basically, they can only see you coming if you haven't seen them first.

didnt have the best processor so I wanted to turn it into something decent which I have done successfully. also cause its actually fun or at least I found it fun. Im sad hahah

iNterBeiNg said:
I agree with that, and because I'm poor and don't see a reason for buying a top of the line cpu when the same perforance can be had for a quarter of the price

that and a 700$ comp = a 1700$ dell?

overclocking for me was just pushed by friends... since i had somtin they didnt XD. but yah, games, cpu intensive things, and such is my main reason now.

Back