• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS A8V No Video Signal all of the Sudden

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xatrix

Registered
Here is the problem:

Everything was working just fine up til today.

I was putting in some audio cables into my PCI audigy 2 ZS while windows was on... and the sound card got unseated. I shut down pc, reseated PCI card, and turned pc on again... to be greeted to no video signal.

Tried taking out PCI cards. Nothing.

Tried booting with just Memory/Vid Card/CPU... nothing.

Reset CMOS.. nothing.

Put in different video card (geforce2) ... works!

Put in BFG 6800 to other computer... works fine in that machine.

Tried flashing Vid card BIOS. Nothing.

Tried deleting all nvidia drivers and cleaning them... nothing.

Help lol...

MOBO: ASUS A8V rev 2.0
Gfx: BFG 6800 GT OC
RAM: OCZ 3200 Plat 2: 2x512
SATA on Northbridge (VIA)

Welcome to the Forums!!!!!

Was the BFG snugly seated in your PCI slot? Did you lock it down? I assume your BFG draws power form seperate molex power cables. The power connector cable could be a problem. Try attaching a fan to the suspect line to check it. See anything else amiss?

Edit** Don't use the VIA controller if you plan to OC. Use the Promise controller.

Has anyone figured out how to change over to the Promise controller from the VIA without reformatting?

I dont think you need to reformat. Try this:

1.Copy the Promise drivers to a floppy.
2.Turn off your computer
3.Connect your HDD to the promise controller.
4.Change boot priority in the BIOS from HDD to CD and enable the onboard Promise controller. Select Operating mode as IDE mode.
5.Insert the Win XP cd and press F6 when asked to do so (look at the bottom of your screen)
6.Now put in your floppy let XP do its thing and cancel installation when asked for i.e exit Win XP installation (you did not re-install XP).
7.You are done!

If this doesn't work, instead of exiting the XP installation, do a repair install.
This surely should work.

Wow I had a brain fart! I forgot we already had this discussion and came to the same conclusion. DOH! I feel stupid now.. I'm gonna try this tonight and see if it works. I'm having some hard locks and blue screens all of a sudden. Not sure whats going on with that. I'm hoping it's the Raptor not liking being on the VIA when I'm OCing.

Yes the molex was connected lol... and tested on other components... I RMA'ed the board and hopefully that will fix it.

Well using the Promise controller didn't work. It locked up on me after 45 minutes of playing Source at 210x11....

I really don't have any major problems. I just can't OC this thing. It just hard locks on me with anything past 205x11. Other than that it runs like a champ. In fact it runs so well I'm not sure why I'm wanting to OC it.

"Why OC?"
That is blasphemous!!!

Look at my thread for basic OC settings. You should be able to do pretty good at 2:1 (DDR400). What are your tempratures?

Not that anyone was following this thread except for SuperNade (thank you). I have resolved my problem!

I RMA'ed my motherboard... got my new one last night. Still no video.

Has to be the Video card. Exchanged the card at Best Buy, and viola. We have video!

I also switched over to the Promise Controller without needing a Floppy, as I had installed the drivers within Windows earlier.

Now to do some OC'ing I guess.

I guess Ill post another thread sometime soon to ask for suggestions, etc.

Anytime!

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=3117082&postcount=1
I made this thread to help out folks getting this Mobo. I did have 100's of Q's on the very basic settings and no place to get consolidated information. Good to know that its useful to somebody. I wish more people would contribute/bring out new issues.

Thats a sweet rig BTW :D Wish I had the money to get a 6800GT.

On a more serious note. Did you make a note of the serial number on the video card? What was the problem with it? As I recall, you said it worked on your friend's computer. If you get the time please post a detailed note of all you did in arriving at the conclusion that the video card was bad. I'm curious to know why it worked on one machine and not the other.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Back