• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 3000+ 754 / DFI LAN / PC2100 RAM = No Problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Moos3d

Well I have one last concern about upgrading from my current setup. My biggest concern is my less than stellar RAM. I currently am using two sticks of 256MB RAM but this is where it gets bad, one of them is the standard PC3200, possibly generic or if any brand probably Samsung but it shows up as no brand in CPU-Z. Then there is my Kingston, it's a 256MB stick of PC2100, its part number, not serial number is kvr266x64c25/256. I believe this is not only PC2100 but value RAM. So here is my question, will there be any compatability problems like my RAM being incompatable with my processor or having the processor run at very low speeds? I know the motherboard supports PC2100 but I hope it won't be processor incompatable or make the processor run with something like a 133mhz FSB. All help is appreciated. Also while we're at it, any PC3200 suggestions for someone on a budget? I'm thinking possibly of using 2 x 256 MB and 1 x 512 MB but would you suggest 2 x 512MB even though it's more expensive?

well. there will probably be no incompatibility problems, but the PC2100 RAM could limit you by some degree, depends on the quality of the RAM. My 3.5 year old PC2100 RAM does 200MHz FSB 1:1 ratio at 2.9v and 209MHz @ 3v. So your Ram might be able to do something along the lines of 166MHz or more with enough voltage.
But if I were you, I'd just get another stick of PC3200 RAM, its pretty cheap right now. Around $35-40 standard, and you can even get it for as low as $20 if you look in the right places.

The Coolest said:
well. there will probably be no incompatibility problems, but the PC2100 RAM could limit you by some degree, depends on the quality of the RAM. My 3.5 year old PC2100 RAM does 200MHz FSB 1:1 ratio at 2.9v and 209MHz @ 3v. So your Ram might be able to do something along the lines of 166MHz or more with enough voltage.
But if I were you, I'd just get another stick of PC3200 RAM, its pretty cheap right now. Around $35-40 standard, and you can even get it for as low as $20 if you look in the right places.
So other than the obvious overclocking limits it won't limit me from running the processor at stock speed? Also will it make the stick of PC3200 run at 2100? It doesn't matter that much to me, as long as the processor can run at its stock speed and I can use both sticks of RAM it's cool with me.

well, yeah you'll have to run the RAM at a higher dividor, like 133:200. But you can always squeze the last drop of performance out of your RAM by upping the voltage and making the dividor a 166:200 or even running the RAM in sync w/ the HTT

Moos3d said:
So other than the obvious overclocking limits it won't limit me from running the processor at stock speed? Also will it make the stick of PC3200 run at 2100? It doesn't matter that much to me, as long as the processor can run at its stock speed and I can use both sticks of RAM it's cool with me.

Yes your ram will limit you from running stock FSB. Do yourself a favor and get some pc3200.

Uh, so some people say it will limit my processor speed and some say it won't? Anyone want to clarify?

It won't limit your processor speed, but it will limit your memory bandwidth by a LOT

Ok, I have no problem with memory speed/bandwidth limits as I currently am facing them, all I really care about is having my current 512MB and a CPU running at stock speed until I get myself new RAM. Care to comment AEsnowboarding?

My only question is will the cpu post seeinag there is one stick of ram being detected as pc 2100. If the board does not auto sense this and adjust mem frequency accordingly it will most likely not post. Gotta remember the stock bus for an a 64 is 400, I was under the impression that it required pc 3200 ram to operate at all.

I think it should be able to auto sense, as any NB/Mem controller is supposed to be able to do.

Still no clear answer and some light debating. If the FSB is 400 how would it run with 2100 and not PC3200?

Memory speed and the HTT (bus speed) can run at independant speeds from one another, so while the HTT is 200, the memory can still run at 133.
Usually the system will just autoselect a divider, going by the lowest rated RAM installed in the system. You can't run one stick at 200mhz and the other at 133.

You need some better ram, period. However, with a little searching you will find that you can achieve great performance at a reasonable price. For example, PQI Turbo ram is based on the new Samsung TCCD chips and is also produced based on the Brainpower PCB (for optimal overclocking). Such ram has been subject of many enthusiastic overclockers and is actually quite cheap. If 1GB of ram is too much for you, consider picking up 2x256 of the PQI Turbo for less than $130. I guaruntee that you will not be disappointed. You can find this ram for sale here:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-155&depa=0

deception``

Well I don't want advice on what RAM to get. I just don't' have the money right now to buy new RAM. Period. In 2-3+ weeks yeah I will have enough for like two sticks of 256MB but this isn't a question about what RAM I get. My question was and is simple, will all the RAM be useable even if at PC2100 speed and second will the processor run fine at its stock speed. Those are/were the questions, period.

Moos3d said:
Well I don't want advice on what RAM to get. I just don't' have the money right now to buy new RAM. Period. In 2-3+ weeks yeah I will have enough for like two sticks of 256MB but this isn't a question about what RAM I get. My question was and is simple, will all the RAM be useable even if at PC2100 speed and second will the processor run fine at its stock speed. Those are/were the questions, period.

There is no reason for you to be so belligerent. I was simply giving you the best advice that I could at the time, and I do apologize if I misinterpreted your inquiry. Nonetheless, here are some simple answers to your question:

1. The ram SHOULD work. I say should because I cannot think of anyone else who has run PC 2100 ram in an Athlon 64 system. Obviously, you will be severly crippling your system, but the ram should run unless your system has an adverse reaction to the high timings.

2. Once again, the processor should work fine. However, need I remind you yet again that PC 2100 ram is a pretty significant bottleneck on your system. With this in mind, your system may not run at it's average potential even at stock speed. I recommended PC 3200 memory at the very least to ensure that you get the most out of any potential upgrade.

deception``

Thanks. Sorry about being rude. I'm just tired of getting irrelivent answers about how I have to upgrade my RAM or my PC will get outbenched by a Commodore 64.

Moos3d said:
Thanks. Sorry about being rude. I'm just tired of getting irrelivent answers about how I have to upgrade my RAM or my PC will get outbenched by a Commodore 64.

The most important point to take from the thread is this: Most likely PC 2100 ram will run on an A64 system. However, it is strongly advised that you consider at least some PC 3200 ram to ensure common functionality.

deception``

Also I might of asked someone else this, but where in Atlanta do you live? I'm up in Forsyth.

Back