• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

k8n neo2 memory problem!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flanders

I recently built a new high spec system but I have one very annoying problem that I can't seem ot find the answer to anywhere.

My new OCZ "PC3200 EL Dual Channel Kit" RAM (2 X 512mb) will not run with my MSI KN8 Neo2 Platinum motherboard. Every time I try to boot up I get a repeated beep noise from the mobo (this indicates a RAM problem with AWARD bios). I have read many forums suggesting it is a problem with the BIOS and I've tried resetting the BIOS and nothing changes. I have tried some other RAM in the mobo and it works fine. I have checked the OCZ website and Im pretty sure it's compatible with my mobo ( http://www.ocztechnology.com/support/motherboard/100 ). The Neo2 board has 4 memory slots and I have tried pretty much every combination (even just one module by itself) with no luck.

Please let me know if you have any ideas what could be my problem. Thanks in advance.

make sure you use 1 green, and 1 purple, in the slots closest to the CPU.

Also, did you hook up the USB/ light indicator on the motherboard? there are 4 lights on the little PCI slot cover thingy, it will tell you what the problem is, if you look in the manual. ALso, what BIOS version are you using? I would assume 1.2 unless you have flashed it.

hey Osirus. thanks very much for the speedy reply :)

Yes I have tried with the first gree and the first purple and no luck, i also tried all the other combinations suggested in the manual and nothing.

No I havent connected the usb d-bracket thing (is that what you mean) would it help if i did?

I haven't flashed my bios so I guess the bios version wil be 1.1 or 1.2. But I checked the msi site and neither 1.2 or 1.3 appear to fix any memory-related issues so would upgrading my bios help?

Well it wouldnt hurt to flash it to 1.3.
the USB d-bracket has 4 lights on the back, plug it all in and everything, and look at the lights.

If my memory serve's me correctly, you should have 1green and 1 red at the top, and 2 greens on the botton, this will indicate a memory issue.

Try to flash it to 1.3

ok i will flash it now. I already know its a memory issue because everything boots fine when I put in a single 128mb stick of old memory, do the leds tell you anything specific about the type of memory problem?

The OCZ pc3200 EL Platinum rev 2 sticks "should" work very nicely in your setup.

I say "should" because all of the reviews indicate that these Samsung TCCD chips were very fast in the Neo2 Plat/a64 combo. However, I had issues with my (new) 2*512 OCZ 3200 EL Plat rev 2 ram also - although not quite like what you have experienced.

I was able to get very fast speeds - DDR 580 290mhz - with this ram, but I could never get stable o/c at this speed. Also tried 240mhz and still could not stable - sometimes it would POST and sometimes it wouldnt.

Lukily I also have 2*512 OCZ pc3700 Gold rev 3 (Hynix DT-D5), which also got high marks on the reviews that I read. This is the ram I am currently using and the benchmarks (Sandra, Super PI, 3dMark03 etc) show the 3700 identical to the 3200 - at least in my rig. I am also Prime stable (35 hrs+) with the 3700 - something I could never get with the 3200EL Plat rev 2.

This is just my experience - and I wracked my brain because I really wanted the 3200 EL to work.

flanders, Im sure you already thought of this but when you installed the OCZ sticks did you fill the GREEN slot 1st and then the PURPLE slot 2nd. Supposedly if this order is reversed it may cause probs.

Last edited:
Well if you flash the bios and it doesnt work, you might have a dimm slot issue, and you might want to consider RMA'ing the board. If you can get ahold of another 2 sticks of the same kind, (another dual channel kit) and try it, and it still doesnt work, its a board issue, if it works fine in dual channel, then its a memory issue.

I dont think the LED lights tell you specific's about the memory issue, check the manual, it will explain more about it. I cant refrence it because I dont have the manual in front of me, (at work currently)

ok thanks for the replies. I just updated BIOS to v1.3 but still the motherboard just beeps at me.

Yes, I bought this RAM because it is meant to perform very well, and it is very annoying that it wont work for me. Unfortunately i dont have another dual channel kit so I can't test to see if it is the board, but it doesn't work even with just the one stick in the first green slot - does this suggest it's a memory issue?

I was reading from the manual when installing the sticks and I accidentally put them in both the green slots first by mistake, I then realised my mistake and moved them to the first two green and purple slots. Would this have anything to do with it? I'm not sure in which order i put the memory in the right way though.

anyone have any other suggestions because I'm well and truly stumped.

Well when I first got the board, I did the same thing... coming from Intel the same colored slots ment dual channel. Well on AMD is different.
Im possitive it didnt have anythingto do with the board not seeing your RAM. you have reset the CMOS by pulling the battery for 30 seconds correct?

Can you even get it to post with 1 of the memory sticks?

Yup i pulled out the battery. And no it doesn't post even with one stick, I tried all the slots.

I'm thinking this must be a fault with the actual memory module so I will get in touch with OCZ somehow. Thanks for trying guys, Your help was much appreciated :)

Back