• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer speakers for the true audophile?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Schalldampfer

Can anyone suggest one? I'm just wondering if there are any, and I'm not talking about the top-line Logitechs; they're nothing compared to real speakers.

its called a custom setup. a true audophile wouldn't ask a question like that, as a true audophile should already know that u can't buy a prebuilt setup that will satisfy them.

i prolly just made myself sound dumber, but im proud of it.

Last edited:
There are TONS of speakers out there. If you really want "audiophile" quality your gonna be looking at some "home" speakers and an external receiver. There really isnt much made in the way of actual computer speakers that are very good in terms of sound quality. If you have a budget your working with that helps a lot. Also we need to know if you just need stereo speakers or full surround sound etc.

Ryan

:COUGH:
klipsch
:COUGH:

Its not that I dont like the klipsch but if your looking for good quality speakers i would look elseware. If you stack the klipsch pro media's or even ultra speakers against any good quality speakers you'll know what i'm talking about. For the price of the klipsch speakers I think they are a decent deal. But for really good quality sound they cannot stack up against good home audio gear (of course in most cases the home audio gear is more expensive).

Ryan

i personally thought they were decent, but i haven't heard any good HT systems..
the best speakers i have are JL audio and they're in my car, but i guess thats more SQL then sound quality. For me, if it makes my ears bleed and my windows crack, its good.

Korndog said:
i personally thought they were decent, but i haven't heard any good HT systems..
the best speakers i have are JL audio and they're in my car, but i guess thats more SQL then sound quality. For me, if it makes my ears bleed and my windows crack, its good.

SPL*. so you equate loudness with quality?

zabomb4163 said:
SPL*. so you equate loudness with quality?

no, i just can't hear quality (play guitar with big amps through most of high school). or maybe i just can't make it out.. i mean, if a speaker is crackling or buzzing, i can tell, but get me two speakers that are the same dbA level but one better quality then the other and i probably won't be able to tell.
A lot of people tell me that i have a SQ system, with the JL subs and polk momos, but i can't tell...

oops, yea, i meant spl, missed that.. hehe

Ryan T, I absolutely agree with you. I don't think I'll ever find any equalling to the one I have in my living room (but then again that does have a 6 digit price tag...) I guess I'll have to happy with my Z5300.

Ryan T is right, you shouldn't use the words "computer speakers" and "audiophile" in the same sentence. There are just too many compromises made in order to deliver a computer friendly set of speakers. I personally purchased the the Klipsch set and thought they were very harsh and abrasive sounding. Believe it or not my current setup of the S750's from Creative had a much mellower high end and were easier on the ears. Granted through some eq'ing the Klipsch's could be controlled but I didn't want to be bothered. Out of the box these just sounded better to me.

Ultimately it boils down to your budget, and your needs or usage requirements. You want to spend 300-400 for everything? Go with either the Klipsch's or the S750's from Creative. If you have the budget, look into a more home theater based system. What kind of room or space do you have? Is this for home theater or just music. You could always build your own if you want the high end, but have a tighter budget. One of my favorite speakers that is already assembled and is shielded for video use come from a company called Paradigm. They have built in amplifiers and again are shielded so they will work in proximity to your monitor. There are too many variables to address with your question. Give us more details and we might be able to suggest some better solutions. I'm sure the people here can provide you with enough information if you can do the same.

edit*
but then again that does have a 6 digit price tag
What kind of system do you have that cost's 100,000..I assume that you are referring to this when you say 6 figures. Don't get me wrong I know it exists. I have personally sold amplifiers from Audionote that were over 250,000 for a pair of monoblocks. I did all Mike Tyson's home theaters in Vegas, Ohio, and Jersey. As well as the Sultan of Brunai's house here in the states...I'm just curious is all.

Last edited:
You can get very good sound from your computer (2 channel or multi) for well under $1000. A lot of people around here peice together systems using Harman/Kardon HKB6 main speakers. They are very similar to JBL northridge speakers. They run about $70-$80 on ebay for a pair. You can also get some very good deals on refurb H/K receivers on ebay. If you go with computer speakers I would be inclined to go with the creative labs gigaworks or the klipsch ultras but you gotta understand that your still inthe computer speaker range. In general they arnt made with the quality as good home theater gear. If you just want a price/user friendly package that will play to decent levels without tons of distortion then a premade PC setup is the way to go. If you want more power and want that next step towards a true home theater then you would be much better off buying some home theater speakers and a seprate receiver.

Ryan

I have 3 sets of 2.1's working together. They all seem to give off their own distinct sound. When working all together they sound great.

I've got..

Logitech Z2200 250W RMS
Philips 120W RMS
Some cheapo 50W RMS

Sounds amazing together.

Yeah I was just going to say the m-audio powered monitors, but it was stolen from me =P. Second to that I'd say klipsch... but neither is really amazing. And you'd probably need a subwoofer with the m-audio's.

You can actually put together a nice little system for not a WHOLE LOT of money. I put mine together for about $1100 - 1200 and it's a pretty amazing setup.

RobxMcCarthy said:
Yeah I was just going to say the m-audio powered monitors, but it was stolen from me =P. Second to that I'd say klipsch... but neither is really amazing. And you'd probably need a subwoofer with the m-audio's.

You can actually put together a nice little system for not a WHOLE LOT of money. I put mine together for about $1100 - 1200 and it's a pretty amazing setup.

yeah but most people's entire rig cost roughly around that :p

I have jbl studio monitors and I also have logitech z-680's. The jbl's are great for music and mixing, but the logitech's have a great overall sound, THX certification and lots of power. I have them run out of the fibre optic outputs from my soundstorm audio and I am really happy with it. Also the only drawback to the logitechs are the hissing that they make at tlow volume.

Back