• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would Asus really do that to an unsuspecting customer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drewmister

Ok my system is out of date and i am sorta getting ready to get basically a new computer. My sister is looking for a cheap computer for primarily internet surfing needs.... So the idea is to sell her this one for cheap and use that money to pay for all my new elite parts.... ok so i am going to buy a friends amd 64 3200+ 754 pin with asus k8n-e deluxe.... for $200! yay... ne way i was looking through the specs of my current hardware just to keep tabs on thing and i noticed something strange...

I have a Maxtor 80GB 7200rpm IDE drive.... the motherboard IDE channel support ata 133 and so does the hard drive.... looking further into this I can't imagine why Asus would send me an ata 66/100 cable for an ata 133 channel... all this time i have been running off a factory cable assuming it was fine and now i discover my hard drive hasn't been running up to speed because of a cable cheap!

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7V333&langs=09

that is a link to my current motherboard.... see how it supports ata 133 but under accessorires it says it comes with an ata 66/100 cable.... And i thought the corporate world couldn't get any cheaper. :-(

Anyone know where i can check what my hard drive is running at ata 133/100/66?

Refering back to the link above UltraDMA 133/100/66 is the same as ata 133/100/66 right or am i just off on a terrible loop...

drewmister said:
Anyone know where i can check what my hard drive is running at ata 133/100/66?

Refering back to the link above UltraDMA 133/100/66 is the same as ata 133/100/66 right or am i just off on a terrible loop...

Um the cable should work fine there chicken little....

go into device manager under ide channels will show ultra dma settings.

Heres a tip dont go making wild accusations until you verify what is really going on.....................

ATA 100 and 133 are really the same thing when it comes to cables.The ribbon cables are 80 wire 40 pin while the older ones only have 40 wires.The extra wires are only to eliminate crosstalk with the faster drives of today.

Seriously ATA 133 is worthless. I used to use a 40gb Maxtor with 2mb cache to load up BF1942. It took forever. I got sucked into the ATA133 hype over buying a WD 80gb with an 8mb cache and running at ATA 100. I got so sick of the slow load times that I finally just bought the WD hd.

If you are purchasing an IDE drive buy on Cache size then ATA speed.

Yep. My ATA133 60GB Maxtor is just as slow as my ATA100 200GB WD because it's got a 2MB cache and the WD has an 8MB cache. Benches say they're almost identical in performance. The Maxtor will be replaced with a 74GB Raptor soon enough though.

Sorry wasn't trying to make anyone look bad, I just wanted either an explanation for as in this case my misunderstanding, or why they would send a downward compatible cable.

As it seems I am the one who was in the wrong I take responsibility for it. I am here to further my knowledge and you have helped me... The main reason for the title was to intrigue people to read it... People who read it respond to it and more likely I will get an answer quicker.

I guess the choice for the heading was to get attention.
I bet there is a good chance that you may have never even looked at the thread if it was titled "ATA133 HDD with ATA100 cable is my performance speed affected?"
Even if you would have i know others who did wouldn't have.

I guess what I am trying to say is i created the title to spark intrigue as I feel thats what a title should do. I am sorry it made an inaccurate claim, but i posted it as a question. I didnt mean to offend anyone and I apologize theELVISCERATOR

Back