• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Call me crazy...new cooling method

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prankstar008

Has anybody ever thought of soldering wires to the individual pins on a processor and then soldering the other ends of thie wires directaly to the mobo. This would allow the processor to operate several feet (more or less) away from the mobo thus making submersive cooling easily obtainable. (IE a small box with a non condictuve chilled fluid running through it, with the keyword being small)

Is it even possible for the processor to operate like this..?.or would the resistance of the wires be a problem? Has anyone ever thought of this before? Am I nuts? Forget that it would make the mobo and processor combo permanent and void all sorts of warentees.

I bet the added resistance, inductance and whatever else would seriously screw it up :p

i highly doubt a 'remote socket' idea like that could work. interference/induction, signal strength...the farther it goes the more possibility of screwing up a signal in transit exists. that's why you dont see 5 foot long IDE cables...

there arent really 939 pins on a 939 socket chip are there?....i just build a system w/ a socket 754 (wtvr athlon 64's are for poorer people) and it didnt look like 745 pins?

The main problem with this is that the timing between data pins is EXTREMELY tight, hence why you see zig zag traces on the boards for the memory, to help data arrive at the same time to the chipset. So the short answer is no, it wouldn't work except for really low clock rates.

prankstar008 said:
there arent really 939 pins on a 939 socket chip are there?....i just build a system w/ a socket 754 (wtvr athlon 64's are for poorer people) and it didnt look like 745 pins?
oh yes there are...
4.jpg

just look at that...each row of pins has about 30, there are 30 rows, 30*30=900, which is only 39 pins away from 939...so without actually counting them, it's a pretty damn safe bet it's 939

Last edited:
and what would be the point of having the CPU run far away from the Motherboard?
If you plan to submerage you system, thier is not reason why you wouldnt want to do that for all non moving parts.
3M has been making a product for that for many years now

and what would be the point of having the CPU run far away from the Motherboard?
If you plan to submerage you system, thier is not reason why you wouldnt want to do that for all non moving parts.
3M has been making a product for that for many years now
Its only like what, 350-500USD a gallon.

That would be the point of this whole idea...you would only need a small enclosure requiring only a small ammount of liquid....but i guess its damn near impossible

prankstar008 said:
That would be the point of this whole idea...you would only need a small enclosure requiring only a small ammount of liquid....but i guess its damn near impossible

then why dont you just ude phase cooling on just teh CPU?
Die-electric grease is cheap, and that takes care on condensation.

The Design aspect of what you are thinking is a nightmare, it makes no sense.
Now if you did manage it somehow,with the price it would cost the Flouroinert would still be a cheaper way to do things

then why dont you just ude phase cooling on just teh CPU?
Die-electric grease is cheap, and that takes care on condensation.

The Design aspect of what you are thinking is a nightmare, it makes no sense.
Now if you did manage it somehow,with the price it would cost the Flouroinert would still be a cheaper way to do things

I totaly agree with everythign everyone has said...except "thoreticaly" this would be cheaper in the long run because running a compressor uses a lot of energy..but you are right in the fact that phase change cooling is more logical and acctualy obtainable.

[EDIT] I just re-read what I wrote....and i basicaly just said what you just said (huh?)....never mind[/EDIT]

lol, it's okay, i thought of it once..."what if you could spread a computer across a whole room, like different parts in different places", but then realized you cant keep signal intergrity that way.

Back