• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Difference between A64 Winchester and Newcastle cores?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

I am about to buy a new CPU,and I was wondering if someone can explain the differences in teh Newcastle and Winchester cores for the Athlon 64.I was considering the A64 3500+,and would like to know about performance and anything else that might help me make a buying decision.How much better is the performance between the 2 seperate cores? The Newcastle cores are priced about $25 less than the Winchester cores---why exactly is that? Price is definately a factor in my purchase,but not if the performance will suffer.I will be replacing an AthlonXP 2800+ (Barton)...which is the better deal,and why?
Thanks for the replies!

The Winchester have a 90nm process, the Newcastle have the 130nm process, the winchester has a small die size, thus allowing for lower voltage and better clocks.

When both on S939 a 3500 Newcastle over the 3500 winchester thier is only a small diff in speed between the 2 its nothing you will even notice, like 1-3fps. The gap gets bigger when comparing the NC S754 with the winchester on S939 mainly cuss the duel channle it isnt much tho....

I would spend the extra $30 tho cuss you might get a better overclock.

I would got with the winchester also cause it run's cooler also plus i love my 3500+ winchester

Back