• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking P4 2.4C & Asus P4P800 DLX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Facasi

Registered
Hi, my configuration is as follow:

Motherboard Asus P4P800 Deluxe
P4 2.4C @ 3.0 Ghz (250FSB)
Corsair CMX512-3200C2 X2 = 1GB (2.5-3-3-7)
Radeon 9600 Pro 120mb
Maxtor SATA 120gb x2 Raid (0)

I am am trying to get over the 3000 mhz but the system become unstable after 251 FSB. :(
Do you guys have someideas. I tryed increacing the Vcore to 1.65 (actual is at 1.55V) but I got the same results.

Some ideas how to increase?

First off, what cooling do you have?

Second, what ratio are you running the CPU:RAM? That Corsair should be running at CAS 2.0, BTW, at 5:4. Might be your RAM, so try 3:2 ratio.

No way a 2.4C should be crapping out at 3.0.

Facasi said:
Hi, my configuration is as follow:

Motherboard Asus P4P800 Deluxe
P4 2.4C @ 3.0 Ghz (250FSB)
Corsair CMX512-3200C2 X2 = 1GB (2.5-3-3-7)
Radeon 9600 Pro 120mb
Maxtor SATA 120gb x2 Raid (0)

I am am trying to get over the 3000 mhz but the system become unstable after 251 FSB. :(
Do you guys have someideas. I tryed increacing the Vcore to 1.65 (actual is at 1.55V) but I got the same results.

Some ideas how to increase?

1- I have the stock Intel cooling fan for the processor.
Case fans: (1) 120mm Front( intake) and (1) 120mm Rear (exahust)

CPU Ram ratio 5:4

What's your CPU load temp? What vdimm are you using? Maybe try bumping up the vdimm a notch? Do you know how much your RAM will O/C? Maybe try using the 1:1 memory ratio (400 setting on Asus) and 210 FSB. If that works with your current timings and vdimm, then you know it should not be the RAM that's holding you back. I'm assuming you have the AGP/PCI locked or else you wouldn't of got that far.

have you noticed that you start getting artifacts in games and such? I ask because some p4p owners have notice artifacting when pushing their fsb over a certain amound, verying between individual boards. This paticular problem seems to be limited to the p4p800 boards however.

Load temp = 49 - 50 celsius
Vdimm = 2.75 V
I don't know about how much this ram can be overclocked (CMX512-3200C2)
Helsyeah : so far, I haven't seen the artifacting while gaming. What type of cpu : ram ratio do you have?

i use the 5:4 ratio, which translates into my 284fsb getting clocked down 226mhz. My ram is BH5 that i have successfully run @ 245mhz with 2-5-2-2 timings and 3.3 vdimm.

Im not entirely sure what your memory is able to do, overclocking wise, when did you buy it? Im not familiar with what chips are available in the xms3200 c2 stuff. You could do as was recommended and just use the 1:1 ratio and keep increasing your fsb to determine how far you can push it. Use memtest86+ test #5 to test your memory every time you increase the fsb.

I go tnot licky with the 1:1 ration putting the fsb at 210. Memtest failed at test #5.
I put the ratio to 3:2 and the the higest fsb is 253 mhz . ( at 254 I found errors at test #5).
The sdram voltage is 2.85v and Vcore 1.55V
The memory is running at 169.2 mhz 2-3-3-6

Any suggesttions?

hmm, if you havnt tried loosening up your memory timings and see if you can increase your clocks, if that does not help, try increasing your vdimm up to 2.9 or 3.0v, both of which should be just fine for the memory.

Your cpu cooling needs to be upgraded. I suggest getting the Zalman 7700 (I think that's the model). It's an all copper 120mm desing that is virtually silent.

You should be able to drop about 10*C or more off your cpu temp as well as get around 3.2 ghz out of the cpu before your memory will hit the ceiling. That's the point that I'm at now.

Mine is running at 275fsb and as soon as I go to 276, all hell breaks loose. I've tried it at higher voltages and different ratios and it refuses to boot. Cpu temps are in the mid 30's so it's not overheating.

also, max out your ram voltage. It won't hurt it and it'll garuntee that the ram gets plenty of juice to handle the beating.

Mine tops out where my sig says really. I don't have much breathing room at all with it when I did try OCing back when I did get it. Since then I'm sure i've stressed the CPU quiet a bit and might actually try pushing it more now when I get a free moment.

You should beable to hit 3.15 to 3.2 without much problems at all bear minimum. I havn't heard 1 person not hitting that unless it was the board limiting them on the FSB they could put out.

Suggestions start with new fan, lower tempatures can't kill it and higher ones will hurt overall OC in the long run. Bump your voltage up more, all you want is to make sure its not running over 1.7volts idle, or 1.65volts under load, suppositly those over time will start killing it over time (people have run these and over and still the CPU lives to date, so who knows but its a good rule to follow).

Also getting some cooling on the power regulators on the mobo can help too, putting heatsinks on them or just making sure a fan blows over them minimum can help. If you want to get creative, cut a hole on the mobo tray on the back side around the CPU area and the power regulators are, and add cooling, sometimes it can reach upwards of 70C easy back there behind the chips, and I've heard up to 95C!

Loosen ram timings as suggested, drop them to 2.5 or 3 in cas just to test it out. You can always later drop the timings back down to get your fastest stable speed.

Edit... Also one added thing, bump you AGP voltage up to 1.6 or 1.65. It gives more power to the chips around it and it helps out overall stability in the system when OCing. This will not increase voltage to the videocard due to its voltage regulators onboard the card to make sure it gets the right voltage anyways.

RAM won't even do 210 without memtest errors? That don't sound good. I'm beginning to suspect the RAM is holding you back. Try one stick at a time and see how it overclocks and use memtest. If one stick does much better than the other, that might be your problem.

Maybe try RAS to CAS delay timing at 4 and see what happens.

Have you updated the BIOS at all?

Load temps look ok.

Just as batboy mentioned bad ram, just remembered the timings you had.

Now is the ram Rated for 2.5-3-3-7?? Or is that what you happen to be running it at?

To reiterate, go 3:2 to eliminate RAM as a variable and to test the CPU.

And that is CAS 2.0 RAM.

Well right now for my memory im using 2-3-3-6 currently @ 2.8V running @ 220Mhz (slightly different from sig just messing around with my OC again).

Running at 3.3Ghz @ 1.625volts. I know I can run higher then this though my personal max for the ram is 223-225Mhz and this is with 4 sticks in the system (another pair of 512MB HyperX Sticks). And ratio im using is 5:4, mine are older XMS sticks though using different chips on it then current ones (BH-5's if not mistaken its been so long since I got these).

is you mobo p4p800 dlx? I am using bios 1019 .. If you do, waht bios are you using?

Well, I made the test with one Ram stick. the higher was 254 fsb. Memtest failed at test #5 . I tryed both sticks individually but the results were pretty much the same.
I don't know why using 3:2 the memory fail with memtest also.
do you think this is a compability issue or do you know another person using this tyoe of memory and the same mobo?

Back