• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4C Overclocking - Is this safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acyf

Registered
Well, the processor might be a bit old but I guess there's nothing as old if you are into overclocking. So I hope I will get some answers.

The following are the specs of my rig and I just wanna ask if it's safe or should I do something quick to avoid something catastrophic.

P4 2.4C @ 3.0GHz (250FSB & 5:4 divider)
ASUS P4P800 DLX
2 x 256MB Infineon DDR400 PC3200
400W Generic PSU
Intel Stock HSF + 2 case fans

By the way, I've run Prime95 for more than 10 hours with no error.

Thanks in advance.

i would just check your temps with motherboard monitor or something and get throttle watch and make sure your temps are ok, and your not pushing to much voltage thru it.. other than that u should be ok

wrangler88 said:
i would just check your temps with motherboard monitor or something and get throttle watch and make sure your temps are ok, and your not pushing to much voltage thru it.. other than that u should be ok
Oh ya, I forgot to tell you guys the temps.

Idle: 28-30C
Full load (running Prime95): 47-49C
Voltage: 1.55 avg.

Last edited:
I am just a bit worried about the PSU. I know it's generic but it has survived the 10-hour Prime95 test. So is it ok?

acyf said:
I am just a bit worried about the PSU. I know it's generic but it has survived the 10-hour Prime95 test. So is it ok?

yes psu might fly one day if the rails are overloaded
it can survive prime but then one day just go
get lavalys everest or speedfan and check the rails under load

also just a FYI - you'r currently running 59C on load or so (asus boards of that era understate temps, proof ? think about it 27C idle while room is ? a few deg less, that cant be. also look at mb temp, its usually higher than cpu at idle, again not possible)

D

ZL1 said:
yes psu might fly one day if the rails are overloaded
it can survive prime but then one day just go
get lavalys everest or speedfan and check the rails under load

also just a FYI - you'r currently running 59C on load or so (asus boards of that era understate temps, proof ? think about it 27C idle while room is ? a few deg less, that cant be. also look at mb temp, its usually higher than cpu at idle, again not possible)
D

Thanks for your reply. Can you check the numbers for me because I don't really know what numbers are considered as overloaded.

Following are the info from MBM:
3.3 Low: 3.25V Avg: 3.30V High: 3.33V
5.00 Low: 4.97V Avg: 5.01V High: 5.05V
12.00 Low: 11.86V Avg: 12.05V High: 12.16V

My room temp is ~22C since air con is on at all times. Also, my MB temp is usually 2-3 degrees (mostly @30C) higher than that of the cpu at idle.

Last edited:
acyf said:
Thanks for your reply. Can you check the numbers for me because I don't really know what numbers are considered as overloaded.

Following are the info from MBM:
3.3 Low: 3.25V Avg: 3.30V High: 3.33V
5.00 Low: 4.97V Avg: 5.01V High: 5.05V
12.00 Low: 11.86V Avg: 12.05V High: 12.16V

My room temp is ~22C since air con is on at all times. Also, my MB temp is usually 2-3 degrees (mostly @30C) higher than that of the cpu at idle.

idle or load ?

well like I was saying add 10deg to the cpu temp to get a more realistic number

D

you should have no problems IMO. you aren't giving it that much voltage at all, that's stock no? that's like running a stock 3.0c, basically. if you notice instability creeping in, it might be flaking out, but you can buy one then. i've never had a psu die and take out the mobo. it just gives up the ghost.

nice oc on that btw. you could get a new heatsink sometime and try for a bit more.

**EDIT**

btw, your psu's voltages seem fine. where you run into problems is when they dip too low.

ZL1 said:
idle or load ?

well like I was saying add 10deg to the cpu temp to get a more realistic number

D

Neither idle or load. Just some numbers during the past 4 hours of usage. Anyway, can you tell me what numbers are considered as overloaded? I will run some cpu intensive programs later to get some more accurate numbers.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
you should have no problems IMO. you aren't giving it that much voltage at all, that's stock no? that's like running a stock 3.0c, basically. if you notice instability creeping in, it might be flaking out, but you can buy one then. i've never had a psu die and take out the mobo. it just gives up the ghost.

nice oc on that btw. you could get a new heatsink sometime and try for a bit more.

**EDIT**

btw, your psu's voltages seem fine. where you run into problems is when they dip too low.

Could you please tell me what voltages are considered as overloaded?

acyf said:
Neither idle or load. Just some numbers during the past 4 hours of usage. Anyway, can you tell me what numbers are considered as overloaded? I will run some cpu intensive programs later to get some more accurate numbers.

5% either direction

D

your should look at the numbers while running p95 or likewise. those will be the most telling. also, look for spikes or wild fluctuations, that's usually when you would lock up.

Following are the numbers after running 3dmark03 and 1-hour of Prime95. Click the picture.

untitled.jpg

acyf said:
Following are the numbers after running 3dmark03 and 1-hour of Prime95. Click the picture.

untitled.jpg

not too bad, but Id still recommend a new hsf, 50C on load (60C after my adjusment) is a bit high IMO since 69C is max for this cpu

D

ZL1 said:
not too bad, but Id still recommend a new hsf, 50C on load (60C after my adjusment) is a bit high IMO since 69C is max for this cpu

D

Which HSF would you recommend? I am thinking maybe Zalman 7000 AlCu. By the way, what does IMO stand for?

Back