• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Unlocked AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE 3.1 Calisto AM3 (938)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maxiem

hello everybody,

i am new to this forums & even new to overclocking / unlocking so whats my story, read my thread to the end hopefully someone can help me out.

Motherboard
MSI 770-G45 (MS-7599)
Southbridge SB700
LPCIO Fintek F71889F
Bios V10.8

CPU
AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE 3.1 Calisto AM3 (938)
Bus Speed : 200
Multiplier : X15.5
HT Link : 2000
NB Frequency : 2000

Memory
2x DDR3 2048 mb (533) socket 1 & 2
2x DDR3 1024 mb (533) socket 3 & 4

now that i have introduced u to my PC, there is a very important thing that i would luv to mention before i continue to elaborate more.

L1 Data = 128 (2 x 64) 2-way
L1 Inst = 128 (2 x 64) 2-way

L2 = 1024 (2 x 512) 16-way
L3 = 6000 48-way

that should mean that my L1 Cache is 256??!!! am i right cos at my Bios Screen after i go inside & choose Cell Menu > Spec it shows me this.

L1 Cache 128
L2 Cache 1024
L3 Cache 6000

excuse my ignorance if that was normal, i just thou that the L1 Cache should be 256 as i saw at diff other threads that i googled, anyway if there is nothing wrong with that then let us focus at the L2 Cache which is highlighted in green.

it says that my L2 Cache is 1024 ok now that i have Unlocked the cores the L2 Cache has increased to become the double L2 Cache 2048.

L1 Cache 128
L2 Cache 2048
L3 Cache 6000

Note that my motherboard says at the Bios screen that it has C2 Stepping, thats probably why when i unlocked the cores my Cache 2 size increased.
i have no idea if thats normal when u unlock the 2 extra cores or not but i assume thats a good thing, my unlock process was successful & i was able to boost my L2 Cache size.

the next part is rlly important thats why i had to explain to u the above 1st before what i am about to say.

we all know the Default bios settings which i explained above colored Orange, when i tried to overclock 1st before i unlock the extra 2 cores this is the max i could reach.

Multiplier : X17.5

thats as stable i could get, all temp was set to Auto seemed fine to me, i tried to increase the Volts as mentioned at other overclocking threads that i have found here at overclockers but that wasn't a good thing to do cos my PC temp got increased so did my Core Temp.

Default IDLE CPU Temp 37-41
Default IDLE Core Temp 32-37

Default Stressed CPU Temp 55
Default Stressed Core Temp 45

those figures above was before i overclock after i overclocked, i got this results.

IDLE CPU Temp 37-41
IDLE Core Temp 32-37

Stressed CPU Temp 55-58
Stressed Core Temp 52-55

thats why i said thats the Max i could reach which is 200 x 17.5 = 3500 cos those numbers i got after i stressed my overclocking was the safest / stable i could get & i didn't have to alter any Voltage settings at my bios also as i mentioned before that when i changed the voltage settings the result was even more Voltage increase than what i explained above so it was best to leave it at Auto.

now lets get to the part when i tried to overclock the cores after i unlocked them.

as i mentioned before once i unlocked the 2 extra cores my L2 Cache size increased the double to become 2048 instead of 1024.

the strange thing is that the best settings i could get after i unlocked the 2 extra cores was this.

attachment.php

Multiplier : X10

Stressed CPU Temp 55
Stressed Core Temp N/A due to core unlocking

Note that with this settings i have my L2 Cache increased to become 2048 which before at the other 2 settings i mentioned above which was before i unlock the 2 extra cores the L2 Cache was 1024.

my question is this, which of those settings the best for me also i am 100% sure that at each of those states thats the max i could get out of my CPU, don't want to push it harder than this just wanna get the best out of it in a safe way not the extreme way.

1- overclocked
Multiplier : X17.5

L1 Cache 128
L2 Cache 1024
L3 Cache 6000

2- overclocked + unlocked
Multiplier : X10

L1 Cache 128
L2 Cache 2048
L3 Cache 6000

also i would like u to note that those settings r the best i could get, i have tried to edit the NB / HT / Voltage at all scenarios but it wasn't a good thing to do which in some cases resulted in a blue screen after i login to windows, couldn't boot in to windows, PC crashed during Prime95 Tests or even had a huge increase at the CPU Temp up to 65-70

all those settings mentioned above i was able to achieve with the normal NB / HT / Voltage settings which is set to Auto.

my Bios Settings for the unlocked cores is as following.

Unlock Hidden Cores : Enabled
Core Control Settings : Auto
Advanced Overclocking Settings : Auto

i have also Tested the CPU at each of the scenarios mentioned above while i had core 3 disabled & core 4 enabled vise versa, didn't get much diff results with the temps except a 1 or 2 decrease at the CPU Temp.

i have been doing all what i have mentioned before at this thread the past 4 days & thats the best i could get.

if anybody else got a better solution for me, please let me know or if that the best i can get to then which of those 2 last settings should i choose.

i have a Default CPU fan which run at 3500 RPM thats the average speed & during stress tests it was at 4500 to 5000 RPM, also at my case i don't think a new CPU fan would make any diff for me but i will get a new one with like 8000 RPM dunno if that would fit but i will hit the market soon after i resolve which is the best setting for me & buy that new fan that could reach to 8000 RPM maybe a Cooler Master Fan cos thats the CPU case i am using a Cooler Master then i will try to increase the multi a bit by bit, don't think there would be a huge increase then but i will give it a try.

also i have 1 more question, using HWMonitor i got the following results.

attachment.php

the values inside those 2 red boxes r those correct that way or there is something wrong with my PC voltage, i am using a Cooler Master power supply 400 W

another quick question r those numbers in the following SS normal or there is anything wrong with them

attachment.php

thats all i have to say for now, i also would like to thank u inadvance for reading my thread regardless if u gonna be able to help me or not, i just would like to thank u for reading this wall of txt that i wrote.

also excuse me if at any point at my thread i sounded dummy or ignorant as i said that i have no experience at overclocking or unlocking until the past 4 days when i started to google more about it trying to overclock / unlock my CPU so all the info i got + all what i said above here, i learned about in the past 4 days so show some mercy here :)

Last edited:
Let's simply this. Please attach screenshots of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD with your next post. Crop the images and save them to disc with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Then use the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window to find and attach the images. That will give us loads of information about your system and your bios settings.

Back