• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA & IDE???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seabee

Ran a quick search and didnt find anything on this topic. So, here it goes..

How good is the Abit Serillel adapter(IDE to SATA)? Is it worth using it on the NF7-S?

Second question, if I put that first HDD(also the boot HDD)SATA, can I have 2 other HDDs on IDE(non-SATA)?

LOL
Just figuring that out now just bout a barracuda 120 sata just got done putting xp w/sp2 on it and when it boots it says i don't have a primary or slave hdd but it boots no prob the slave is a 40 gig maxtor ata.
So that might answer your question seabee, but im not 100 % sure.

(1VB)Seabee said:
Ran a quick search and didnt find anything on this topic. So, here it goes..

How good is the Abit Serillel adapter(IDE to SATA)? Is it worth using it on the NF7-S?

Second question, if I put that first HDD(also the boot HDD)SATA, can I have 2 other HDDs on IDE(non-SATA)?
Not sure about your question 100 % but ill give it a shot. You can run 2 satas on your sata controller and still run 2 ide drives as well. Actually imo your best bet would be to get 2 sata (matching) run a raid 0 and use your existing ide drives as your ghost or backup. Hope this helps. :D

Prodigious said:
sata is ide... I assume you mean a pata to sata adapter?

Yes, that is what I mean.

Asj69 said:
Not sure about your question 100 % but ill give it a shot. You can run 2 satas on your sata controller and still run 2 ide drives as well. Actually imo your best bet would be to get 2 sata (matching) run a raid 0 and use your existing ide drives as your ghost or backup. Hope this helps.

Almost. I want to run ONE sata drive(again, I only have the adapter) and two pata drives.

My first and foremost question, is the pata to sata adapter worth it? I know native sata drives are better, but would I see a good gain in my pata drives to use the pata to sata adapter?

(1VB)Seabee said:
Yes, that is what I mean.

Almost. I want to run ONE sata drive(again, I only have the adapter) and two pata drives.

My first and foremost question, is the pata to sata adapter worth it? I know native sata drives are better, but would I see a good gain in my pata drives to use the pata to sata adapter?

Don't bother there's no speed gain.

Ok. I guess that answers that question.

Now, suppose I just want to use this to use 3 HDDs. I have the first running the pata to sata adapter running now, but as soon as I try to run the other 2 HDDs on pata, my rig wont start up. Get to the XP boot screen and just sits.

Take the Drive on the SATA Out first, load the SATA non raid drivers. Then in the bios change boot only from the IDE drive and disable all other boot devices. That should fix it. I do that and never got problems.
With boot problems, keep it simple.

Back