• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sharing files @ home

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

perfectturmoil

Ok.. I solved my first problem with internet sharing. Now, however, I cannot figure out how to get one of the computers to share files. My laptop (Dell) and Desktop (AXP-M) (both running XP Pro SP2) are sharing fine. I can place files from either computer into either computers shared drives. Our families computer (Gateway with XP Home SP2) will not share. I've tried everything I can think of, and everything that I found in the stickies, but I can't access the shared folder there, or access my shared folders from that computer.

I can see the computer when trying to browse for new network places, but I cant access it at all. Here is a pic proving that I'm not 100% crazy ;-]

ps. This computer is in need of a clean sweep.. I'm trying to do that this week.. I want to back up all our families pictures and whatever to my computer so i can transfer them back after the cleanup. I wish I could do this over the network instead of over ftp or something like that.. it would be much easier.

Attachments

• gateway.gif
    gateway.gif
    12.8 KB · Views: 64
If you can see it on the network, that means that you have the correct workgroup, and all of the proper network-related things are set up correctly.

So, you havn't got any shares set up on it, or you don't have the right accounts set up.

To set up a share, just right click on a folder and select "Sharing..." from the menu, and select to share it on the network. With XP it makes you jump through a few hoops before it lets you do this, but it's all in that dialog box.

To configure the permissions correctly, you need to either enable the guest account (which allows anyone to read the files), or create an account with the same username & password you use on the other computer.

su root said:
...To configure the permissions correctly, you need to either enable the guest account (which allows anyone to read the files)...

This might be what im looking for.. gotta go try it out.. thanks :- ]

[edit] nope.. no dice. the guest account was off.. and nothing changed after I turned it back on.

Last edited:
here is the thing that has worked for mr many times. simply make a file. then left click on the file. click sharing or properties than sharing. then not make it a private. and click on share. it should say like DO U WANT TO SHARE THIS FILE? and u have to choices. NO OR SHARE IT ANY WAY. then u should be able to log share files. thats a corny way but it always works for me. for more help IM or E-mail me.

The way su root described would be best especially for security, if you are one a static ip and have open sharing in place then you are leaving yourself wide-open for hackers and other malicious critters. As far as trying to get it to work, have you tried several times (including after rebooting both computers) to access the files? You might also disable the sharing and renable. Sometimes WindowsXP has a rough time recognizing that the files are being shared. I mainly use Windows2000 at home and at the shop, so when you share a drive does that little hand underneath appear in XP like it does in 2k?

winterhavok said:
The way su root described would be best especially for security, if you are one a static ip and have open sharing in place then you are leaving yourself wide-open for hackers and other malicious critters. As far as trying to get it to work, have you tried several times (including after rebooting both computers) to access the files? You might also disable the sharing and renable. Sometimes WindowsXP has a rough time recognizing that the files are being shared. I mainly use Windows2000 at home and at the shop, so when you share a drive does that little hand underneath appear in XP like it does in 2k?

i agree but just wanted say that my way works but not securly probebly :santa:. but then im not running anything importent so steal all u want guys. JK.

Back