• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 64 3500+ 90nm overclocking problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OpusDei

I've just started learning about overclocking my new CPU, but for some reason I can't raise the FSB above 228MHz no matter what I change.

Here are my computer specs:

Athlon 64 3500+ 90nm socket 939
MSI K8N Neo2 Plat
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
2 x Corsair XMS 512 DDR 3200 (standard, not LL or anything)
2 hard drives hooked up through IDE
BIOS version 1.4

Ok, i've read a lot of posts about overclocking this CPU, but none of the suggestions seem to be helping.

The best i've done is make it to windows overclocked at 2508MHz with 11x multiplier and 228 FSB (not very stable in windows). Anything above 228 FSB makes the computer not boot. I changed the HTT to 4x and lowered my Memclock to 166MHz since I couldn't get the FSB anywhere near 228 otherwise.

I have done all my testing from changing stuff in the BIOS. The settings I always use are:
High Performance Mode: Disabled
Aggresive Timings: Disabled
Dynamic OC: obviously disabled
HT Freq: 4x for most i've done. lowering it to 3x made no difference.
cool'n'quiet: disabled

I'm running most voltages on AUTO or default. I tried raising them and it didn't seem to make a difference. My RAM runs AUTO at 2.7v

I've been running all the RAM settings on AUTO except changing the Memclock to 166MHz. My RAM's default timings are 1T 2.5-3-8-3 normally with everything on AUTO (same as Corsair's suggested timings). With the Memclock on 166 MHz it became 1T 2.5-2-7-3.

It seems I have no trouble lowering the multiplier as much as I want but I can never get the FSB higher than 228 and have the computer boot. I always have to hold INSERT for it to boot and sometimes clear the CMOS because that won't work.

*EDIT* Forgot to mention i'm having no trouble with cooling. The CPU is not very much over 40C with a full load.

Nothing else I can think to say now. Any ideas of why I can't raise the FSB higher than 228MHz?

Relax mem timings

Change the 1t timing to 2t.I found when running 1:1 best performance rather then 5:4 divider.
Also set Agp to 67mhz
if using sata make sure using the sata connectors closest to agp slot .
not the sata ports on the lower righthand side(they are not locked). :attn:

I have similar setup as you, I was having problems as well, but I solved it by loosening the timings on the memory. One thing I noticed was if you run CPU-Z it gives you your SPD timings table for your memory. My memory was advertised as 2-3-3-6 , but under CPU-Z I saw that this was for 133MHZ. For 200MHz it lists 3-3-3-8. So by using those timings for a lower clock and then overclocking it on top of that, you get crashes, no boot, ect. Get CPU-Z and look at your table. I set my timings to 3-3-3-10 1T, memory clock divider in BIOS to 166, FSB 241x10, which makes my true memory clock with the divider to 200.8MHZ. This has been stable for a week. I have not tried going further yet, as I'm stilll getting everthing situated with my 3 weeks old 1st build rig. I also did a few things with voltages, but basically just didn't want anthing on "auto", so I set voltages to yellow text choices in the BIOS (version 1.4). Even though I hate the word I'm a total "NEWB" but have made a little headway with similar setup so I hope this helps you out. :beer:

The SPD timings table:
]
screenhunter0017rs.png

My current timings:
screenhunter0022ss.png

My current CPU clock:
screenhunter0039ue.png

If I'm mistaken by some of what I said, please help, anyone out there. :burn:

Last edited:
Back