• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 hardrives at once ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mako777

Ok. I have a hardrive with windows 98 on it. Im now going to put windows XP on another hardrive i have. They are both 40 GB IDE drives.

How can i hook both HD's up at once, i want the windows XP HD as my primary so when i boot up off the windows XP drive, i can go to "My computer" and see the other harddrive there. Because i want to pull some data files off the old Windows 98 Harddrive and copy them onto my Windows XP drive.

just hook the second drive up as a slave or on a seperate IDE channel with its own cable. If you set it as a slave you will need the set the jumper on the second drive to slave, you wont if you put it on its own IDE channel with its own cable. Just make sure you're putting xp on the other drive and not it when you install xp.

some options you may want to think about.

if you install xp onto the new drive while the old one is plugged in xp may do some dual boot stuff which will extend your computers boot time while you select which OS you want. if you want this great, if not it can sometimes be tricky to get rid of.

if you install xp onto the new drive then install the old harddrive afterwards the old drive will just show up with files on it, no dual boot stuff and no drive letter funkyness. this is what i would do (i unplug all my other drives when re-installing windows)

Shuruga2 said:
if you install xp onto the new drive then install the old harddrive afterwards the old drive will just show up with files on it, no dual boot stuff and no drive letter funkyness. this is what i would do (i unplug all my other drives when re-installing windows)

I did this once when I was reformatting my OS drive...I unplugged my storage drive because I didn't want to write over it. But after I got windows loaded and then shutdown to add the storage drive, it couldn't recognize it. You may run into that problem...

Back