• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question on which mosfets to place heat sinks on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sinnoh

Registered
i have 3 heatsinks for the mosfets just which do i place them on or does it matter ?? i have a pic for you guys to see

Attachments

• Image4.JPG
    Image4.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 124
ok well im dumb :/ crap ok here is the heat sinks ..... the pic of the mosfets u had i have a crap load of the lil squard things around teh cpu but they arent to big ..afew have these chips theres 2 that just have glueish looking stuff on them my mobo is an abit ai7

Attachments

• Image6.JPG
    Image6.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 124
here are the circled them?

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 121
I'm with the original poster, as I had for the longest time always thought they were the capicitors, then I finally realized that a capicitor is a capicitor, and a mofset is a mofset.

Michael

Agreed... the flat black "chips" with two outer leads and a cut inner one that are hot when Prime95ing using in-place FFTs are the ones that get heatsinks. (Those "flat black chips" are MOSFETs, actually called transistors... MOSFET is a type of transistor known as a Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor :p )

The way I usually do it, is to power up the board and run some benchmarks, like prime, that can stress both the memory and CPU, then power it down and carefully touch the mosfets around the board and mark the hot ones, those I sink. This may be wrong but it works for me.

Edit yes the circled ones are the mosfets

Usually the MOSFETs for power are by the molex connector or the CPU socket. There may be MOSFETs on different parts of the motherboard which do not need to be cooled. In example, there are MOSFETs on my NF7 by the graphics card slot in between it & the PCI Slot & I am not going to cool those as theres no point in doing so.

how to tell if a mosfet should be sinked-
1. touch it after the system's been on/under stress a little while
2. hot? that's normal...
3. hot hot hot? sink it!

OK dude first off...u gotta figure out WHICH mosfets are the ones that you should sink...otherwise u might just be sinking the wrong ones and it not makes much difference...and if u cant find out...just touch them....the hotter...the more they need sinks

Moto7451 said:
Usually the MOSFETs for power are by the molex connector or the CPU socket. There may be MOSFETs on different parts of the motherboard which do not need to be cooled. In example, there are MOSFETs on my NF7 by the graphics card slot in between it & the PCI Slot & I am not going to cool those as theres no point in doing so.
Yea thats what I was about to say myself. What board is this exactally?

Sometimes adding MOSFET heatsinks will not improve the stability of your VCore. In my case it didn't on my NF7. It did on my old KT266A board. Its a mixed bag. I suppose it doesn't hurt to have them anyway though ;-).

do they pop off?? i found a hot one if so how just pull em off with nn ?
i fell so dumb :bang head anyone..... but i also found 2 bigger ones in the corner of the board... they are the size as my heat sinks

Attachments

• maybe.JPG
    maybe.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 231
Back