• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what do yall think

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have to agree with the two previous posters. although that is a very sexy unit.
BTW, i just purchased the PSU that Timonex posted and i'm very very pleased with it. Very quiet operation, good looking, sleeved cables are a definate plus. I like the modular units too but didn't find one to match the specs of the fortron without costing me body parts.

J.

i got an x-connect and i have to say i am very, very pleased with it. can't seem to find any cons with it yet. :crosses fingers:

alot more people are starting to use these around here, and really the only people who seem to have anything bad to say about them are the ones who have not used one. they provide good performance and also a lot of other features that are very convenient. if you go with the x-connect i think you will be pleasently surprised. :thup:

Yes but what about the 2.0 standard, dual 12v rails, 24pin connector...etc? I don't have anything against it, it looks slick, heck maybe it even performs well, but it's lacking too many important features in that price range.

the big thing i like about the first one is its modular, but yall do make a good point. big thing i need is LONG cables. the way this cube is made the antec im borrowing now just barely reaches.....

i saw the ocz units mentioned above. would the 520 ocz and that fortron be on the same
level or no? for 30 bucks more on the ocz if its a better psu illd look into it. if the fortron is MUCH better, i may go on and get it. just looking for options. My roommate wants his antec back and i dont want to have to buy another one for a good while :). although i gotta say spending this much hurts.......

heres a question to.....how hard would it be to MAKE it modular? could i go ahead and clip everything off at the psu and just put molex conectors on the ends?. I was thinking i might coul even clean it up and make it look slick with a plate to plug stuff into. that would be another option.

Yeah it's alot for a PSU, but your CPU is among the most power hungry of the AMD chips. It's just not a good idea to get a cheapy IMO. Besides a good PSU tends to wear well and remain with you for a long time unlike other components. The OCZ unit is wonderful as well. If you're a big fan of the modular design it may be worth the premium.

wich is better. forget modular or not modular, wich one is a better psu? :) thanks for yalls help btw

I like the Fortron unit myself, particularly with a 25% lower price tag. I doubt either would let you down though. The Fortron blue storm is the PSU I'd buy for my mother's FX-55 system(assuming she gave a dang about computers which she doesn't). :p

I fail to see how even this excellent PSU earns it's 50% price premium over the Fortron blue storm. No offense but it's always easier to spend someone else's money. :)

TimoneX said:
I fail to see how even this excellent PSU earns it's 50% price premium over the Fortron blue storm. No offense but it's always easier to spend someone else's money. :)

Part of the difference is in that Fortron actually builds their units - OCZ is getting theirs outsourced from Topower. But I do think the prices need to come down.

Back