• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help picking a cable modem (comcast service)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gusdagoos

I need to buy a new modem and im wondering if there is a difference between the ones that are out. I have found a motorola one, d-link, and linksys cable modem that im looking to buy but i want to make sure i buy the best one. Any opinions or advice would be great.......thanks

Yea i was thinking about that one but wanted to see what other people thought. The technician that came to my house said the motorola was good for when theres a problem because it gives a lot of information on the problem. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

I don't have suggestiong more of a warning really, I used to have a 3com sharkfin modem and only after it died and got a scientific atlanta from my isp did I know how much the 3com sucked, with this cheap SA I get up to 9k+ kilobits while before I was lucky to get anything higher then 5k kilobits.

You know they lease the Motorola to ya for $3 a month. Then you don't have to worry about research, warranties, troubleshooting, etc. Cheap imo.

Yea i know but for $80 dollars i dont really mind buying one. I guess motorola is the winner. Comcast gave me a rca one that looks like a small box but tomorrow im going to go get the motorola one. thanks guys

LxOxSxI said:
You know they lease the Motorola to ya for $3 a month. Then you don't have to worry about research, warranties, troubleshooting, etc. Cheap imo.

Actually my cable company charges $10 a month to lease, and I think $120 to purchase one. So I just got one off of newegg. :D

gusdagoos said:
Yea i know but for $80 dollars i dont really mind buying one. I guess motorola is the winner. Comcast gave me a rca one that looks like a small box but tomorrow im going to go get the motorola one. thanks guys
Check out BB and Circuit city. They usually have deals where you get the modem free and service at a reduced price for 3 or 6 months if you sign up for service at their store. I signed up for comcast at Best Buy, got a free modem, half price service for 3 months and 2 gift cards worth about $80.00. Now theres a DEAL.

SavageBasher said:
Actually my cable company charges $10 a month to lease, and I think $120 to purchase one. So I just got one off of newegg.
I was referring to Comcast which he and I both use :)

Another vote for Motorola (SB5100) .

Ive had great results with the SB5100 and Comcast .

I have a Dlink modem, going on 3yrs, paid $50 after rebate. No problems. My ISP charges $5/mo rent, do the math. Oh and I could buy a modem (Motorola xxx) thru them for $250, again do the math,,,,,,,,,,,
There are those that will pay the rent for the 'comfort' of support issues (bad modem etc) and that is fine for them. For me, my choice to purchase a modem has worked well for me.

Back