• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to help the Suse newb to Fold.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I just installed and updated Suse 9.1 Personal. There are MANY things that I don't know how to do. What I'm asking for here is help to get this rig folding. I downloaded the Linux file and it's an .exe file. Suse will not install it like a Windoze machine would. I opened Konsul and tried chmod +x FAH5-Linux.exe, chmod +x /home/jim/documents/FAH5-Linux.exe, etc. I checked to see what is running by typing in top and I know that I have not installed the Folding client.

Please help. This is an AMD 2000+ that could really boost my personal ppw and help the team.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

I think it would be this:
chmod 755 filename
sh filename

Replace filename with the location and name of the folding client, of course. I am pretty sure it is 755 on the chmod, but you might be able to just use the +x.

Also, create a new directory for folding. The Linux version just creates all of the work files in the directory the client is run from. With it in your documents folder, all of the wus, logs, and files downloaded/created will be placed into your documents folder, which can create confusion.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot tomorrow. If you think of any thing else please let me know.

Oh. I'm using KDE but it doesn't sound like that matters.

Nah, it doesn't, you'll need to do some command line stuff to get it installed.

I've been tinkering on this installer- http://overclockix.octeams.com/foldinstaller.tgz

extract the files somewhere
in a terminal-
su
[enter root password]
cd /place/where/you/extracted/the/files
chmod +x install_fah
./install_fah username
(where username is the name of a regular user on your system)

This should install one or more (as many as you have CPU's, HT included) instances of folding into your /home directory and set them to run as a background service. It should also set appropriate flags for you and enable bigpackets if you have enough ram. It'll also setup some simple commands to manage the service-

foldoff to turn it off
foldon to turn it on
viewfold to see the progress
cfgfold to reconfigure the client(s)

You could also install superkaramba (kind of like samurize) and use these themes to monitor progress graphically on your desktop. http://overclockix.octeams.com/karamba.tgz

Back