• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Router hacks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
I remember seing this a while back, but cant seem to find it anymore.
Some wireless routers you can hack to incress signal strength.
Anyone have any experience with this?

The Linksys WRT54G and WRT54GS can be updated with a hacked firmware from Sourceforge or Sveasoft. Since these routers are based on Realtek network chips, some people have said that other routers can be updated with these same firmwares, but I have never had any experience with it.

The firmwares are open source, so are free to download, but in order to use Sveasoft's, you are supposed to pay them $20 for a year of support and free updates.

Slackfumasta said:
The Linksys WRT54G and WRT54GS can be updated with a hacked firmware from Sourceforge or Sveasoft. Since these routers are based on Realtek network chips, some people have said that other routers can be updated with these same firmwares, but I have never had any experience with it.

The firmwares are open source, so are free to download, but in order to use Sveasoft's, you are supposed to pay them $20 for a year of support and free updates.
Does that mean you can get the Sveasoft one for free initially?

Not that i care really what is happening but i think what sveasoft does is basically release the stable gold build for free.. but all the updates and betas are only for paying members....
Eddie

they may not be happy but its not illegal. :) Great software BTW and if James hadn't taken to the tactics he did he would have my 20 bux in the bank because its a great firmware upgrade. but with the threats and bans I prefer to not want to support the "support".

Slackfumasta said:
There are places that you can get them for free because they believe that under GPL, these cannot be sold for money, and must be freely distributed.

If the GPL specifys as suggested that software under this licence can not be sold how do you think that Redhat, SuSE get around this with Linux ??? :bang head

Your understanding of the GPL Public Licence is incorrect. When the GPL (General Public License) uses the term free software, it is referring to freedom, not price. The General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for this service if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs; and that you know you can do these things.

Last edited:
Back