• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

would this be too EXTREME ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

babyboosdaddy

Registered
this idea is still "on the drawing board"so to speak , but i do belive it will work well & possibly cool several pc's (got to keep my seti crunchers cool) i live in the pacific northwest so the weather doesnt get too hot even in the summer so not only should it cool my cpu's it should also heat my pool some... :burn:

please post any questions & or ideas

thank you
Dave

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 838
if you mounted the heatercore in such a way that all the water through your box flowed through the fins, it just might be extreme enough to work!

however, im not sure how well the fins would take that kind of pressure from the water, or if any particle was in it. on paper, it looks good though

the rad would be getting 'filtered' water , so no particles at all ... as far as pressure i'm not too sure that there would be alot as it is only about a 500gph pump plus the filter cartrige slows down the flow & the 'box containing the rad would be about 10 or 20 gallons so 'convection' should do most of the heat transfer , IF i am thinking this thru right

Too extreme? That phrase does not exist on these forums!! In theory, your idea will work. You're gonna need one massive beast of a radiator to fully use the potential of your set up. If you do do this, I want many many pics!

kayson said:
Too extreme? That phrase does not exist on these forums!! In theory, your idea will work. You're gonna need one massive beast of a radiator to fully use the potential of your set up. If you do do this, I want many many pics!

i guess i could use a regular radiator instead of a heater core then

thanx

The pool pump probably does anout 1-1.5kw. You could have a few pahse change systems running for the same amount of elec.

ls7corvete said:
The pool pump probably does anout 1-1.5kw. You could have a few pahse change systems running for the same amount of elec.

ok but the pool would be setup & running any how , just thinking it could stay setup year round & cool my cpu's & stuff , should reallly cool well in the winter tooo huh

Gosh I like it. :p

Do you have a wife or significant other to explain this to?

I could just imagine me trying to explain to my wife why I just had to divert pool water into the house to cool my computers. LMAO

he he , nope that could be hard to explain huh
i hope it well , i have put alot of thought into this idea (my daughter would love it if the pool was 'heated' enough so she could play in the pool more)

Yup just what I was thinking, that'd be my #1 argument.

"...but sweetie this will save us BIG BUCKS on heating the pool!!!"

LOL

babyboosdaddy said:
if i get enough input from all you guys & feel it is worth while i promise to submit several pics !
DO IT DO IT DO IT, how hard could it bea? :p and if it worked, that would be even cooler (no pun intendid, well the more i think about it, yes).

I for one would think it would work if you could get lots of flow, reduce the fittings. Insted of submerging it, well ill draw it to try to make more sense, the only problem with my idea is how to get the pressure equal, i know there would be a better "shroud" design that would allow for more equal pressure on the face of the HC.

Attachments

• Image1.gif
    Image1.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 793
Hmmmm.

Interesting concept- I LIKE IT! :D
A coupla things to mention though....
2 stage cooling (pool water to pc water) adds another layer of heat transfer and inefficiency to the system.
Unless your computers are all on the pool deck, you will need a pretty strong pump to keep the pc water flowing as you want.
A standard pc-type radiator is probably not what you would want in such a system: something that allows freer flow around it and much higher volume INSIDE it seems to me to be a safer bet. I am not a thermal/liquid dynamics guru though, so I would suggest a boatload of research on THAT point before spending crates of dough!

As far as whether or not the project is worthwhile in a pure "bang for the bang" sense- I am quite sure it will not be: a good pump will be expensive and so will pipe/tubing to connect everything. I am pretty sure you could get cooling results just as good (or better) for far less money.
I know that my Project Overkill would cost an insane amount if I had to pay for all the parts I am using. And I wouldn't be doing it. (I am C H E A P.)

But as for will it work? Yes, I think so, and it sounds like a very interesting project as well. It probably will make little difference in the pool temp, but with a large enough (surface area and flow) heat exchanger (radiator) it should definitely cool a bunch of computers.

I understand what babyboosdaddy is doing, but I get the impression there are a couple o' people that think there are going to be some 2" barbs on that waterblock :rolleyes: That I would like to see!! LOL
but seriously, I tried something similar and it only take about 30 feet or so of 1/2 copper tube in the sealed waterbox to accomplish about the same thing as a couple of radiators. The pool water will be flowing around the 'radiator' of sorts, and the cooling loop for the computer will be flowing through the rad. But if babyboosdaddy's pool is anything like mine is right now, And I mean it is cold, the temps of the loop have a potential of dropping way below ambient inside the house and then it becomes another sort of problem to deal with...condensation. :(

but babyboosdaddy you have got to do that, I dont have that setup anymore to show< (the wife rules as far as pools in the house)

Last edited:
Fun to do==YES
Practical==NO!

So, compare that to OCing..

Dur, do it. Not even a competition :-D

Back