• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best way of cooling a 9800 aiw pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

desolateincbus

i've had the desire to cool my ati 9800 aiw pro for better overclocking but i am not sure which path to take. i've only been able to achieve about a 5% overclock on my card using stock cooling and only get a few artifacts. i have heard that with a lot of gpu fans and silencers there are compatability issues with the aiw 9800 pro due to the extra media options. if there is any method of cooling this card, which one is the best?

get an aftermarket copper heatsink like a Iceberq 4 and some BGA ramsinks.

I'm getting a Arctic Cooling VGA silencer Rev.3 soon for my aiw 9800 pro, I will be sure to let you know how it goes. Let me get this straight though when i put on this Arctic Silencer Rev. 3, will i just place it over the stock fan or will I need to take out the fan and maybe apply some Arctic Silver.

sponga said:
I'm getting a Arctic Cooling VGA silencer Rev.3 soon for my aiw 9800 pro, I will be sure to let you know how it goes. Let me get this straight though when i put on this Arctic Silencer Rev. 3, will i just place it over the stock fan or will I need to take out the fan and maybe apply some Arctic Silver.

You want to remove the ATI heatsink and fan from the video board.There is a metal shim on top of the GPU(graphics processing unit)---leave the shim one.Clean up the old thermal compund,and apply a higher quality thermal compund---I prefer Arctic Silver Ceramique.There is a plastic back plate that you will have to screw into the new VGA Silencer you bought.Line up the heatsink,and put the screws through the holds in the graphics card and start to screw them into the new heatsink.When the screws get just a little snug,start to alternate screws by screwing a little one one,then a little on the other.You want it to be screwed in snug,but not too tight as this could destroy the GPU.its not as hard as my instructions make it seem.If you have any questions,you can always PM me. They send pretty comprehensive instructions with the VGA Silencer.I would suggest you get a set of 8 copper RAMsinks to apply to your video cards RAM---they come with thermal tape already applied,so sticking the RAMsinks on is very simple.The instructions with the VGA Silencer are very good,and include color pictures for each step.The most important thing to keep in mind is to not screw the screws to tightly---just firmly enough so that the new heatsink wont move around or loosen.I applied the same VGA Silencer,and I am getting about a 15% increase in core overclock speed---which is probably lower than it can actually go,and about 10% increase in memory speed---but I havent applied RAMsinks to my memory and the memory will proably overclock at at least a 15% gain with RAMsinks.But,my overclocking is modest,at best.You'll see other have pushed their cards further.I think my overclockiing of my video card is suffiecient anough to play any game I want right now.

I just got the new Logisys cooler but haven't installed it yet. It's actually made by a UK company, but Logisys is the US distributor. Besides looking really cool, it had great reviews on UK sites. Also comes w/ ram sinks. I'm going to have the exhausted air sucked into a PCI slot cooler and expelled out the back of the case.

I also have an AIW (9800 Pro). One reviewer installed this cooler on an AIW and it cleared the TV tuner box on the card. Even had pictures to prove it. I'll post pics when I install and test it, but won't be for a few weeks.

Ok its installed but i am a little worrid i removed the heatsink and on the stock fan HS there was a square sliver stuck on the bottom of it, is that the metal shim. If not than there is a piece of square metal on the outside of the GPU(looking at the Artic Cooler pictures around the GPu it is missing my AIW has that metal on top of the boarder box of the GPU, should i remove that also?). I eyed it out and the gpu seemed level with this thing.

Something bad happened also which nearly gave me a heart attack, as i was squeezing the pin with the pliers well they slipped a little and i hit a circuit connector(small little thingy). It bent one side off but i just pushed it back against the board and it seems to be fine and making contact. My question is, is it ok if i solder that section a little bit, like it wont affect theh flow of the electicity if i do a good job of soldering?

As i am typing this things seem to be running well 10 mins into it. My heart is still thumping though and just a little bit nervous.

Oh yah their guide was complete crap with their half assed pictures they got in there. Another thing should the two rubbers be on one side or should their be one on each side of the board on the screw.

showimg.gif

Question about where i place the ram sinks also later on down the line. I marked all the places where i think the HS would go, is that right?

Last edited:
Yes the square around the gpu is the shim, no you should not remove it, no it won't hurt to put a little solder on the damaged resistor, yes the rubber o-rings do go on the same side(one side). That is the correct placement for the ramsinks, not sure if placing sinks on the mosfets will help overclocking at all but it can't hurt.

Thank you HeatM1ser2k4 & mysterfix, for your helping me i will be sending you guys some free fandango.com movie tickets and some other free stuff later on as i get them at the company i work for. Thanks for your help.

HeatM1ser2k4 said:
You want to remove the ATI heatsink and fan from the video board.There is a metal shim on top of the GPU(graphics processing unit)---leave the shim one.

What metal shim? Im tried installing the VGA silencer on my 9800 AIW pro, but im getting artifacts. I came across this post. It says about a metal shim. What shim? I cant find any shim. Any ideas? Pictures would be really helpful.

Thanks.

The silver square that surrounds your gpu on the card. The shim does not need to be removed though. Take your silencer back off and make sure you are getting good contact with your gpu. If your not then add a little more thermal compound so you get good contact between your silencer and the gpu.

Back