• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win xp restarts to complete and then messes up...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trance

ok, ive tried installing win xp pro on my system several times, but whenever it completes teh first part of the installation, it will restart like it's supposed to, and tehn gives a message "error loading operating system". linux works fine on the system so i dont know why windows xp wont, any suggestions?

You must install XP first then intall Linux.After installation is complete Linux will give you a boot choice...

You should be able to do it either way, you just have to re-install your linux bootloader afterwards. On the other hand, it is a good idea to repatition and try installing windows first. That way, you elimanate windows being stupid as the cause of you problem.

I would guess that the windows bootloader is having some sort of problem. Maybe you should try to re-install your linux bootloader (lilo or grub) and set it to boot an OS off your windows partition.

Linux is a very large deployed program.If you install Linux first make sure to ask Linux to partition your drive and leave enough space for another large OS in this case XP.
The reason why its easier to write XP 1st its because once XP is installed Linux will read and calculate automatically how much space you need for both programs.
Linux will then offer several choices to partition your HD properly...

trance said:
ok, ive tried installing win xp pro on my system several times, but whenever it completes teh first part of the installation, it will restart like it's supposed to, and tehn gives a message "error loading operating system". linux works fine on the system so i dont know why windows xp wont, any suggestions?

That error message comes from the BIOS. That means the boot sector wasn't written properly.

hmmm damn, ya most those answeres were wrong, im not trying to dual boot, im trying to get xp to run, and its not, but linux runs perfectly fine

so recovery console in windows and type those 2 things in? or do i ahve to type a certain command line in b4?

Back