• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best deal for 939 Mobo, cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yo4444

What would be the best deal(cheap but solid and good for future upgradability) for a 939 mobo? MSI? Chaintech?
Which chipset.. nforce4?
Probably go pci-e unless you guys suggest otherwise.

IMo I havn't really seen a reason for myself to upgrade to pci-x just yet so I think I'am going to stick with a agp setup for a while.

I'm going nF3 so I can try the mobile 64s as they come out. They wont be made in a 939 flavor and I spent too much on my 6800 to see selling it off for some PCIes in the very near future. Of course 939 does allow dual channel while 754 does not but I think I'll have fun with the new clawhammers(or whatever they rename them too as long as the still have the 1MB cache)

jonspd said:
IMo I havn't really seen a reason for myself to upgrade to pci-x just yet so I think I'am going to stick with a agp setup for a while.

thats really nice, but are you saying that if you were ripe for an upgrade right now like the original poster is, would you buy another agp board?

didnt think so.

I think what deception posted is going to be the board I get unless I find something else inetersting before april 7th.

hi_its_ryan said:
thats really nice, but are you saying that if you were ripe for an upgrade right now like the original poster is, would you buy another agp board?

yes i would and am going to probably

So you all would recommend sticking with an AGP board and not a pci-e board even considering future upgradability? The future proof issue is bigger in this circumstance than the performance issue, thats why I'm suggesting 939 for this build.
Also, is SLI even an option? Especially on a budget?..

why would you get an agp board now? go pci-x for sure. sli is not really an option when on a budget.

While PCI-E is certainly future-proof, it is not very cost-effective. Sure, one can piece together a decent PCI-E system without breaking the bank, but AGP systems are declining in price due to the demand of the newer interface. I would not recommend an AGP setup when taking in the future-proof aspect, but one simply cannot ignore the ability to piece together a K8/s939/AGP system with minimal funds.

deception``

I'm not against going 939 at all...or PCIe. I like to OC and I see the mobile 64s which are all supposed to have 1MB cache as my way..not the only way. I also don't want to jump off AGP yet. In another year or two yes but til then I don't see my 6800 suckin hella. I also tend to donate my systems to family and friends instead of selling them outright so when I change sockets its all or nothing. How long before AMDs next socket change...I heard once but forgot..wanna say 2 years or less. If you have to buy everything than going 939 plus the PCIe GC is about the same price or just a little more so go for it. The latest winnies though havent been champion clockers. the new mobiles..."turions" are what interest me and I was just offering a suggestion. I'm also waiting to see what becomes of ATis foray into motherboards...my own 64 system is arriving piece by piece and the only thing I haven't ordered is my new PSU as I plan to get one that is 24 pin for when I do go to the next boards. Things like how long he expects to use this computer and what for are important thoughts. that extra cache is nice for gaming but in 939 defense the "SanDiego??" chips are supposed to be offered with the 1MB l2 cache also. For me I already have a high end card and its AGP so I stayed AGP.... when it's time to upgrade PCIe will be my only logical option.

deception`` said:
While PCI-E is certainly future-proof, it is not very cost-effective. Sure, one can piece together a decent PCI-E system without breaking the bank, but AGP systems are declining in price due to the demand of the newer interface. I would not recommend an AGP setup when taking in the future-proof aspect, but one simply cannot ignore the ability to piece together a K8/s939/AGP system with minimal funds.

deception``

Great way to put what was in my head when I posted what I posted.

I went nforce 3 becaus I allready had an agp 6800gt wich I Figure I will get atleast 2 years out of before I must upgrade. I would stay away from msi right now as many people seem to be haveing problems with there boards recently as far as overclocking goes. I switched from a MSI k8n neo 2 platinum wich i was haveing a hell of a time getting stable at over 2.4 ghz at reasonable voltage to a Epox 9nda3+ wich solved all of my problems. Epox has a nisely price nforce 4 board out that i here is good also.

Going for around $600 give or take on this build, after a bit for me(the builder) He's looking for a decent ENTRY into 939 for cheap, that will allow him to add performance and peripherals long into the future(relatively speaking anyway) I was looking at the longest term solution to keep him up to date.
With his budget where it is, I think he will be looking ONLY at future upradability, and not performance for the moment, but I feel he is O.K. with that.
Just looking for something that he will be able to pop a nice fast cpu and vidcard into when he has more funds, so it would need to be what people see as the "future" of interfaces.. I.E. pci-e, 939, etc.

This is what I have so far... all prices shipped
Chaintech nforce4... $85.00
A64 3000+ retail $150.00
512(2x256) geil 3200 $59.00
W.D. 80 MB *meg cache $60.00
128 Mb 6200 pci-e $60.00
Nec Dual layer dvdrw $62.99
Enermax case w/ 400w psu $67.00 unless you think a codegen or rosewill 400w will do the job..

IMO I would change the chaintech to a epox and get some better ram I dont like geil. Other then that if you have the fund's or can talk him into it get the 3200 so he will have 2.0ghz pc.

jonspd said:
IMO I would change the chaintech to a epox and get some better ram I dont like geil. Other then that if you have the fund's or can talk him into it get the 3200 so he will have 2.0ghz pc.
The epox on newegg is 132.00 vs. the $85.00 chaintech. Has to be pci-e.
I can get corsair VS for like $5.00 more so that isn't a prob. any reason not to get the geil? As far as the 3200 goes, it's $40.00 more, and I'm looking budget entry system, but I'll try. As it is, he's looking at over $600.00.

I think that Chaintech is a fine choice for a budget PCI-Express s939 solution. I would also have to agree about the RAM change, I have heard mixed opinions on Geil RAM while Corsair, Kingston, Mushkin, OCZ has been pretty solid, even in the budget memory sector. Getting a 3200 over a 3000 is a decent upgrade, but if you decide that you don't want to stretch your funds that far, I'm sure you won't be sorry getting the 300;)

See I dont worry about future proof because odds are in a year I will have a new cpu and a new mother board and a new graphics card.

Back