• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old PC beats Macintosh G5 in new benchmark

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PC DOMINATOR

The mac boys are crying! Beat on their own website!

PC guys can sign up to voice their opinion on the threat underneath. Bill Gates and I have already posted.

PC DOMINATOR said:
The mac boys are crying! Beat on their own website!

PC guys can sign up to voice their opinion on the threat underneath. Bill Gates and I have already posted.

Umm, not really. That is not really a great benchmarking test by any means. It is like running Sandra's memory bandwidth test and comparing it with an athlon 64 on socket 754 and 939. Doesn't mean anything. I hate it when people bash like that. Unless you are talking about Al Queda, I don't think it is ok to bash like that.

See, I don't get why PC people whine when Mac people do the superiority thing yet I see so many PC people do the same thing over and over?

Im quite sure Bill Gates has nothing better to do than post on some mac forum, cuz if I was a filthy rich billionare I would love to brag about how l33t my product was to a few people who I probably didn't care if I had their business.

Another PC fanatic bashin on Macs before the background is revealed...

Mac bashing gets old here buddy, take it somewhere else.

Anyone else realize he got a post into Gen Computer Discussion without having enuf posts? Moved by a mod...

is that why no hardware works with linux? its always hiding in a cornor haha. Just messing nothing against linux. Any way it is really your prefernce on whcih you get, macs user never really switch to windows and few windows users switch to mac. They are good in different areas. Mac being good for things like video editors and windows being good general computers to sit back and mess with. Linux being good in the area of giving you a chanllange and feeling secure.

it is an endless battle. but then again it sjouldnt matter, each has its own place. So waht the benchmark was after effects and 3D ....i do that on Pc, i must say i hate it. The speed may be faster, but IMO its not worth it. Ive dont LONG video projects on both mac and PC. My overall work gets done quicker on the mac. they dont take into considaration gamming, programming, compiling, stuff like that.

Gamers, and your average joe are just happy with a PC. Now people like my girlfirends family who are the biggest computer idiots in the world, theyd be happy with a mac mini (which is actually what i talked them into getting) took em 5 minutes to adjust to osx demoing my mac.

1 thing id like to comment NO ONE notices, there is in fact Gentoo for OSX.3, which is really portage. So you essentially get 2 OS'es in one, OSx, and run ANY linux app you could want. (just need to compile from source) And if you slap the PPC version of WINE on there, you can emulate windows programs (yes, x86 on ppc) and if your running 2 monster dual G5s it isnt too bad at all. You can even integrate winxp in osx silently, with VMware. It does run windows apps, with limiations. The main reason of it though is seamless pritning and filesharing (no more smb ) those G5s are monsters.

pretty much if you can find a linux replacement for your favorite windows app, your set. But then again, most big name windows apps have a osx counter part. thats just my .02$

Looking at the stuff they benched, the Mac holds up pretty well and neither system is what you'd call slow. The article does show some things that Mac needs to do to continue to be competitive though, for the price you pay for it. Specifically, I'm talking about the Hard Disk Speed test, where the Dell absolutely smothers that poor G5 for the same price computer. I imagine that you have a scsi raid system in the Dell against a single drive system in the Mac, just making a guess by looking at the benchmark numbers on drive throughput.

It's nothing to gloat at though because it's a Mac, but it is nice to see some benches of their "fastest pc on earth" getting beat just to make them eat crow for making me suffer through those stupid commercials they ran when the G5's came out.:D There is some nice design work and technology in the dual G5 2.5 boxes, with a nice watercooling setup and some darn nice cases. But I hope Mr. Jobs isn't holding his breath waiting for me to buy one as I swore off buying into any more proprietary core hardware that's only available from a sole-source supplier when I swiched from Amiga to x86 back in 1993 or 1994.

Back