• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gentoo Emerge/Compile slowdowns

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Midnight Dream

OSPF Loving Member
Ok, im not entirelly sure what it is I did, but somehow I have made my computer basically unusable when doing a compile or an ebuild. I used to be able to listen to music and browse through directories, do 2 or 3 compiles at a time, etc etc, while emerging or compiling something. Not anymore. Now, XMMS will just freeze up, I have to force it to quit. When I try to su, it takes 1min + to verify my password. I cant even attempt multiple compiles, because the computer becomes even worse. I dont know what to do, short of reinstalling Gentoo completely, but really dont want to do that. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Edit 1: Also, it seems things are bringing theirself back. I unmerged Mozilla the first day, and emerged Firefox. Today, I start my computer and boot up firefox, and it says that its not the default browser. Look in the Internet menu, and what do I see? A nice red Mozilla link.

Edit 2: Now looking more, it seems there are things that I did not emerge. Gnome burning utility? I havent gotten anything for burning yet, and I know that link was not there yesterday.

If anybody can provide insight into this, it would be nice, but im going to just start reinstalling right now.

Last edited:
when running a compile run "top" from a console see what process is using the CPU/RAM. If all your RAM is used up and the OS is swapping that will slow the system way down.

Thanks for the information guys. Thought it might be informative for everybody to know, no longer is an ebuild required to get the 2.6.11 sources. Just doing a Gentoo install, and as always, I do emerge gentoo-dev-sources, and suprised to find 2.6.11-gentoo-r4

Back