• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you run two primes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
make a tag in the shortcut like this:

-An

so for example, it would look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Prime95\Prime95.exe" -An

in the shorcut field (copy the shortcut to prime95, then add -An to the end)

if you want to run more instances, make more shortcuts, then make it -A2, -A3 etc.

i just right click on the folder in my c:\programfiles directory for p95 and choose copy then paste it and then make a shortcut to the desktop with the new p95.exe

i never knew about the adding an a to it though ill have to start doing it that way.

I guess that works as long as all you do is play games. I have found out from personal experience that an unstable cpu will eventually corrupt your hard drive and your opperating system. With instability, it is only a matter of time before the computer wont even run right. The more unstable it is, the sooner it happens. I have found that if it can pass prime 192k length in place FFTs for five minutes, it is good enough to get you at leat six months before you see any problems.

Also duel primes on a pressy doesn't draw any more current than one prime, at least not any measurable difference.

I didn't know you could run two primes off from one instal. Interesting.

Some peeps use cmdln switches, & now it looks like SolidxSnake has found a pretty nice method GUI method. :cool:

FWIW -

As for me, I've just been installing my d/l's in different folders, & renaming the Prime.exe (& any shortcuts I make) to the same name as the folder.

So I've got:

Prime_0

Prime_1

as seperate folders & Prime clients, w/corresponding (re)named .exe's.

Strat

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
I dont run dual primes ... REALLY stresses the fets ... I go with Sucka ...As long as its game / benchmark stable .. its fine.
I have no choice, but to dual Prime - I run dual concurrent Distributed Computing clients (Climate Prediction), and if the machine don't pass dual Prime, it will eventually soon fail under two CPDN clients (and occassionally, it will fail under two CPDN clients even IF it passes dual Prime!!! - So I'm usually backed down a couple FSB's).

I think this is why my OC's are often very slightly (~100 - 150 MHz) lower than other peeps max OC's on similar systems. I need to be 100% stable, 24/7, 365, running the equivalent (some CPDN peeps think worse than equivalent) of two concurrent Prime95 clients. And the real killer: A CPDN "model" (work unit) takes ~3 weeks to complete. One good funky crash, & the work is lost! Oxford University has the "trickle data", but you won't earn any stats credit by attempting to re-run a model (that's if it didn't get corrupted - which it probably did). So the choice is basically to toss the possibly corrupted model, rather than lose credit for the computing work & time required to re-crunch it, or risk erroring out, at some point, if it's indeed corrupted, and start a new one! :rolleyes:

~ With seven non-UPS machines crunching 24/7, I get VERY nervous when I'm away from home, & a lightening storm develops ~

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Strat

What do you mean stressing the fets. my fets are not sinked and even pulling 1.7Vcore and 3.2Vdimm and 1,8Vagp at 4.3Ghz as long as there is air blowing over them on my DFI they never got over 48C tested with an infrared lazer.My cpu is hotter than that.

fordf250 said:
What do you mean stressing the fets. my fets are not sinked and even pulling 1.7Vcore and 3.2Vdimm and 1,8Vagp at 4.3Ghz as long as there is air blowing over them on my DFI they never got over 48C tested with an infrared lazer.My cpu is hotter than that.
While I can't specifically answer for him, I'd suspect he's describing the probs w/the FETS being inadequate for OCing Pressy's, particuliarly C0 & D0 steppings, on an S478 platform. Your DFI, even though an i875P chipset, has the LGA skt & a much stouter powerplant. Also, your 640 is an E0 stepping (84W, IIRC), and OCs much cooler & w/less current draw than the earlier S478 Pressys.

I own both:

- A 3.2 C0 on an Asus P4P800 S478 mobo

~ & ~

- A 3.2 640 E0 on an Asus P5P800 LGA mobo.

Both are air cooled.

There's no comparison, when it comes to cpu heat output, and mobo powerplant stress (excessive current draw). The C0 S478 took lots of work & never really hit 4G stable, and runs hot as Hades. Plus my Fets are literally sizzlin'. The 640, on the other hand, hit 4G stable on stock (AUTO) Vcore straight out, easily, right from the get-go, and just kept going higher w/tweaking. The proc & mobo are cool-as-a-cucumber! Actually, some peeps believe the 600 series E0's run cooler & OC better, than thier 500 series counterparts, too.

BTW - Quite a few ppl lost mobos (particuliarly blown FETS), during S478 OC attempts, & subsequent stability testing!!! :eek:

There's several (really, really, long) "S478 Prescott 3.2 @ 4G Quest" threads that slipped down the rungs, several months ago, that I can lead you too if you're really interested.

Strat

SolidxSnake said:
make a tag in the shortcut like this:

-An

so for example, it would look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Prime95\Prime95.exe" -An

in the shorcut field (copy the shortcut to prime95, then add -An to the end)

if you want to run more instances, make more shortcuts, then make it -A2, -A3 etc.

This worked like a charm, Great tip.... needs to be in tips guide ?

Sweet move from the metal fan. Or you can simply use the n switch.

Drag a prime shortcut to the desktop. right click--properties--target

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Prime95\Prime95.exe"

ad /n to the end like this below, then ---apply

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Prime95\Prime95.exe" /n

Here's what I do. I install Prime95 in the default folder (which is in under the Program Files folder).

I then make a second folder under Program Files and name it: Prime95(2)

I then copy the contents of the original folder to the new Prime95(2) folder.

I then right click on the file name Prime95.exe and then chose "create shortcut" on the menu that comes up. I then right click on the shortuct that is created and rename it to: Prime95(2). I then take the renamed shortcut file and paste it into the Prime95 folder that is added to the start menu.

cozmo_d said:
Is there a way to run 3primes useing the -an method or the /n ???

I need to run 3

Yep, just make the third -A3 or such. It goes on for as many as you need AFAIK.

cozmo_d said:
Is there a way to run 3primes useing the -an method or the /n ???

I need to run 3

you NEED to run 3? have you got a tri-core cpu that i've never heard of or something?

LabRat23 said:
I guess that works as long as all you do is play games. I have found out from personal experience that an unstable cpu will eventually corrupt your hard drive and your opperating system. With instability, it is only a matter of time before the computer wont even run right. The more unstable it is, the sooner it happens. I have found that if it can pass prime 192k length in place FFTs for five minutes, it is good enough to get you at leat six months before you see any problems.

Also duel primes on a pressy doesn't draw any more current than one prime, at least not any measurable difference.

I didn't know you could run two primes off from one instal. Interesting.

i've had rigs showing stable running prime95 on both cores 100% , then end one of the prime95 instances and start running seti or something else on one core and start seeing unstable cores, you should run two different stress tests at same time , that will show anything that is not right, on this rig i was stable running two prime95, started running seti@home on second core and found i had a bad ddr2 module, when i showed an error message that kept re-appearing. it's always good to stress test with multiple test at once.

Back