• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800 GT Flash Gone Bad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Circaflex

Well guys I've been flashing my 6800gt bios to get the extra voltage and something has gone wrong. Day 1 i flashed with a modified BFG bios with stock speeds but 1.4v on the gpu for 3d and it worked rebooted overclocked and it wasnt too stable, it lead to some corruption. So i flashed back to my stock bfg bios and went from there. All was good and i went to flash again with a modified bios, 1.4v and ultra speeds. Now i know my card can handle them i was at 435/1.16 on the stock bios and i wanted to see if i could get a tad more without the corruption. I proceded to flash through windows, thats how i did it before. The program finished, it said it was successful. I go to reboot and nothing on my screen, monitor is in power save mode. Now my first thought was maybe my overclock was too high on my cpu, and isnt giving enough power to the system for the new flash. I reset cmos and nothing. Im assumming it was actually a bad flash even though it said successful. What can i do guys?

sounds like you are gonna have to reflash in dos...

This happened to me before, I just memorized the steps...

my Motherboard (p4p800, like ur p4c800) has a BBS popup menu when you bootup... this comes in VERY handy at problems like this

First, i made a dos boot-disk and an nVflash disk, with my stock bios...

then, I would boot up my machine from the dos bootdisk (no display, screen was blank), and then after about 30-50 seconds, i would change the disks, then type in something like:

nvflash <bios file name>

... I remembered the command from my other computer...

anyway, if you have a spare vid card (PCI), stick it in, boot from that vid card, and then reflash in dos

hmm i dont think i can blind flash i reset the cmos so its going to go to the bios and ask to reset default or use these and i have to press a key but i cant remember which one to press and then if i actually get into the bios i wont be able to get out of it i dont think. I have a pci card here but i dont know if its any good really. I just tried it and i put it in the pci slot tried to turn the machine on and it turns on but no video to the monitor do i have to unplug/take out my 6800?

first, clear your cmos, put in both cards (the pci card, and the AGP card) and reflash it like normal
thats what i had to do when i screwed up the flash of my 5500

When I do nvflash, I always start w/ "nvflash-r" to remove any protection of the bios, this gives a clean flash. Then , "nvflash-4-5-6"biosname", this forces the flash. Never had a problem. My XFX 6800gt has been an XFX 6800Ultra, a Leadtek 6800gt, a Leadtek 6800Ultra, a Gainward 6800gt, a Gainward 6800Ultra Golden Sample, but the stock (rev.2) XFX bios have the best performance w/ the lowest temps and highest OC

Back