• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Gentoo Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did you set a root password?

You should be able to change it by booting the live CD, chrooting, and then setting the new password.

su root wouldn't work either...

telexen thank you...i will check tomorrow.

Telexen probably has it, you must be a member of the wheel group to use the su command.

you can use this to add yourself to wheel:

usermod -G users,wheel,<whatever other groups you have your user in> <username>

but you can 'nano -w /etc/groups' and check the wheel group for your username

I just did a fresh install the other day and I am having the same problem. I am a member of wheel, even added a new user. neither can su. the password is correct. even tried re-emerging pam and shadow, but that didn't help. I keep getting "su: Authentication failure" Is that what you are getting nightmare? I've posted to the gentoo forums, but haven't got a reply yet. And the IRC channel tried to help but ran out of ideas. Let me know if you figure it out nightmare and i'll do the same.

Are you doing it right?

You need to type "su - root" for example to switch to root. Note the spaces BEFORE AND AFTER the dash.

SatanSkin said:
I just did a fresh install the other day and I am having the same problem. I am a member of wheel, even added a new user. neither can su. the password is correct. even tried re-emerging pam and shadow, but that didn't help. I keep getting "su: Authentication failure" Is that what you are getting nightmare? I've posted to the gentoo forums, but haven't got a reply yet. And the IRC channel tried to help but ran out of ideas. Let me know if you figure it out nightmare and i'll do the same.

Thats kinda funny because i just saw that on the gentoo forums...yeah kind of...but i haven't checked to see if i am on the wheel

Back